Finding open and duplicate vectors

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ilsaarin
Vectric Craftsman

Finding open and duplicate vectors

Post by ilsaarin »

I finally desided to change the software from A**C** to VCarve pro. I have spent hours and hours editing bad vector pictures with it and yesterday I got enough. That expensive software don't have any tools for finding duplicate vectors or open vectors. It can be done if you know the tricks but it requires a lot of manual work. The fonts are exploding and they have to be node edited before I can machine anything. When I got fustrated after 2 hours of editing, I tested the same file with Aspire trial and the job was done in 10 minutes. Then I went to the Vectric homepage and now I am 450 euros poorer than yesterday. I should have purchased VCarve 3 years a go.

But now to the question:

Command "find duplicate vectors" won't find all of them. Does somebody know why? Also "find all open vectors" fails. I just used the command for finding open vectors and the result was that there isn't any in my design. But toolpathing had different opinion and refused to make a toolpath to one part because vectors were open.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

Ilkka

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Re: Finding open and duplicate vectors

Post by BrianM »

ilsaarin wrote: ...
Command "find duplicate vectors" won't find all of them. Does somebody know why? Also "find all open vectors" fails. I just used the command for finding open vectors and the result was that there isn't any in my design. But toolpathing had different opinion and refused to make a toolpath to one part because vectors were open.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

Ilkka
Hi Ilkka,

The seelct duplicate vectors command will only find vectors which are pretty exact duplicates, these are often created by drawing packages when fills etc are applied and they can be very difficult to spot by eye.

The most common reason for not finding open vectors is that they are grouped together. The 'select open vectors command' only selects individual vectors. When the toolpaths are created the groups are broken down into individual vectors and this may be when the program is spottign the open ones. If your vectors are not grouped, perhaps you could post the file or send it to support at vectric so we can take a look.

Brian

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Edit: I see Brian has already answered but there may be a few additional tidbits here that may help.

Ilkka,

Congratulations on the purchase!

The ability to find open vectors and duplicate vectors has worked fine for me as long as nothing is grouped. If you have anything grouped, be sure to ungroup them first.

Sometimes it is hard to see them, especially the duplicate vectors. So after using one of the commands, it is best to immediately hit the delete key for the duplicate vectors and with Open vectors I normally use the new Copy to Layer command so I can take a look at them. Sometimes single pixels created unintentionally can give problems and be hard to find.

There are two other tips for open vectors. You can select all vectors and open the Join Vectors tool (shortcut is J). The box that opens for the Join Vectors tool will give you a summary of how many vectors are closed and how many are open.

You can also use the new Vector Selector feature to select all open vectors or just on a specific layer or layers.

If none of this helps, can you post the file that is giving you problems?

Tim

gbanet
Vectric Apprentice

Post by gbanet »

Draw a random line, anywhere. Select that line and the vectors that are open. Then under the "Edit Vectors" toolbar, select "Join vectors with a line". This will lead back to the problem.

Greg

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

Greg that's a great tip.
gbanet wrote:Draw a random line, anywhere. Select that line and the vectors that are open. Then under the "Edit Vectors" toolbar, select "Join vectors with a line". This will lead back to the problem.

Greg
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

ilsaarin
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ilsaarin »

Good tips, thank you both.

I sent a file to Vectric. Let's see what they find from it.

Ilkka

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello Ilkka,

Thanks for sending in the file. It is not too much work to sort it out.

I have emailed it back to you.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.

ilsaarin
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ilsaarin »

:shock: :shock: It not even office time anymore!! Now it is time to relax and go to the pub and not to work!

Mail received and studied carefully. I managed to clear the picture before I asked the question. Now I know how to clean up those messy pictures much more efficiently. As said many times before: Excellent customer support. I will pay my Visa bill with smile on my face.

Ilkka

cac67
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joes Evo 3x2

Post by cac67 »

gbanet wrote:Draw a random line, anywhere. Select that line and the vectors that are open. Then under the "Edit Vectors" toolbar, select "Join vectors with a line". This will lead back to the problem.

Greg
This is one of those things that make me want to slap myself for not thinking of it myself. Great idea!

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Greg
Great Tip Greg,
I guess you still know your way around the keyboard... :twisted:

Don't forget about the information the status bar.
When vectors are slected the status bar will give you a total count of closed and opened vectors
In the photo there are 4 open vectors and 1 close with a total of 5 and noted in the status bar by S5 (I think the S is for selected)
Attachments
selected vectors.jpg
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

ilsaarin
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ilsaarin »

My opinion still is that this is not working properly. Take a look at the pictures. First Vcarve couldn't find any open vectors but then I switched layer visibility on and off. Then those small horizontal lines were found.
Attachments
open vect.PNG
after using find open vectors.PNG
so do you say.JPG

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

The vectors need to be selected. In your example they are not.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

ilsaarin
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ilsaarin »

No, they don't have to be selected before using the tool.

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello ilsaarin,

The select open vectors command will only work on layers that are visible.
If you are having problems with a particular file, why not post it up here and we will take a look at it.

Cheers,

Mark.

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Usually you will find that those vectors actually double back on themselves and are actually closed vectors. If you use the measure tool and select 'Span / Contour Properties' and then click on the apparently 'open' vectors it will give you more information about them at the bottom of the form including whether they are open.

Brian
Attachments
perimeter.GIF