Tool Changes

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Tool Changes

Post by Rik »

So I was wondering how do you handle tool changes. If one has more than one tool making his design do you have to save each part as a saved toolpath? Also how do you delete saved files? I know a stupid question, but.

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hello Rik,

Many of the postprocessors already support Auto Tool Changing and it's very easy for us to modify the postp you are using to save multiple tools into a single file.

What postprocessor are you currently using?

When calculating multiple toolpaths using different cutters for a job you need to,

1. Specify a different Tool Number for each Tool used
2. Order the Toolpaths in the sequence required to cut the job - in the Toolpath list
3. Make the toolpaths Visible in the 3D window - click the check box for each toolpath
4. Save with the option 'Output all visible toolpaths to one file'

This saves all toolpaths being displayed in the 3D window, in the order they appear in the list.

Let us know which postp you are using and we can take this from there - support@vectric.com

There's a Delete Toolpath icon on the Toolpath Operations menu - 5th from the left.

Tony Mac

MZiegler
Vectric Apprentice

Tool Changes

Post by MZiegler »

How about adding ShopBot second z axis to the list of postprocessors. For us that is our tool changer. I would have end mill in the second head for profile and pocket cuts. Thanks Mark

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Mark,

The attached zip file contains postps (inch & metric) that can be used with Twin Z axis ShopBot Routers.

Copy the appropriate file into the folder,

C:\Program Files\VCarve Wizard 2.0\PostP

Restart VCW and the new postp will be available from the pull-down list on the Save Toolpaths form,

ShopBot Head 2 (inch)(*.sbp)
ShopBot Head 2 (mm)(*.sbp)

I believe the offset for Head 2 is handled as a variable in the SB Control Software?

Please let us know how you get on so we can look at including these postp's in the standard installation.

Tony
Attachments
ShopBot_Twin_Head_Postps.zip
(1.8 KiB) Downloaded 252 times

MZiegler
Vectric Apprentice

Post by MZiegler »

Thanks Tony
I just down loaded the ShopBot Head 2 file and add it to the list of postprocessors. Also I made a ShopBot Head 2.sbp file from VC wizard and I look at file, looks OK. It have the variable offsets for the x and y. Will test run it on the bot tomorrow. Thanks Mark