photo carv problem

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
normbenjamin
Vectric Apprentice

Re: photo carv problem

Post by normbenjamin »

so editing as you did and I have both of those packages I use them to creat scroll saw patterns is what it takes to get a quality image and large enough for propoer engraving. I will try toe modified picture see what I get it looks good now to cut. Then I guess it's try to get a handle on size and then cutting parms. Thank you for all your help.

normbenjamin
Vectric Apprentice

Post by normbenjamin »

I think I am gettign the idea of size. I just thought, the smaller the engraving is the LARGER that 60 degree bit is so if you make the picture lager the bit size is reduced to the relation of the picture making what seems a smaller groove. Is that the general idea?

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

normbenjamin wrote:I think I am gettign the idea of size. I just thought, the smaller the engraving is the LARGER that 60 degree bit is so if you make the picture lager the bit size is reduced to the relation of the picture making what seems a smaller groove. Is that the general idea?
Yes that is how it works. You can only get so many lines per inch of picture.
Dan
People go though many trials and tribulations. Some of them actually happened.

mboydraska
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis homebuilt

Post by mboydraska »

Attached is a screen shot of the settings I used to generate gcode. If you had shown the settings that you used maybe helpful, I adjusted the contrast settings to 40 which made it better but like Burchtree mentioned quality of image matters quite abit.
Attachments
settings
settings
HAPPY CUTTING
Mike

normbenjamin
Vectric Apprentice

Post by normbenjamin »

I can see that. It is difficult to at first get a handle on the relation between the photo and qulaity and the carving. I am I think starting to understand the relation. Now I have to experiment at least I have a starting point now.

One thing I am confused by is the Scale Factor

The nature of 3D toolpaths means that they require simultaneous 3-axis moves, which often result in the CNC machine not actually achieving the programmed feed rates. This can be compensated for by multiplying the times by the Scale Factor.

What are they trying to say? If you increase the sacle it takes onger to cut decrease the scale and it is faster. So what is the affect on the actual carving?

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

The scale factor has no effect on machine times. It is used for estimating machine cut times. If you set the scale factor to !.0 and make a note of what PVC said the machine time would be. You can run and time how long it took to run the piece in real time. With those two times you can determine what the scale factor should be.
If I was to run this picture Morn I would check the box Make transparent. and holding down Ctrl click on the sky between the smoke and steam to make it transparent. PVC will not cut that area.
Dan

normbenjamin
Vectric Apprentice

Post by normbenjamin »

So it is only to calculate more accurately the machine time. The default was set to 2, I am runng a program at 1 and timing to see how it actually does. Then I can adjust accordingly.

Thank you for all the help. I am now trying some of the graphics I have to increase the size so it will cut better.

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

Hi Morn
With a picture this size there is a limit as to how big you can make this. At some point you are going to lose it.
Dan

normbenjamin
Vectric Apprentice

Post by normbenjamin »

This was just experimental I really have others I want to do but have to solve the problem and understand the software. Usually I will work with a 12 megapixel digital camera picture. That is larger than I need I am sure. I think my single largest problem was understanding you cannot cut a 4 x 6 no matter what the picture you start with as the lines are not fine enough to really creat an accurate image. Once I looked at the number of lines cut and the spacing it was obvious you will get results less than desired if you try to cut a very small image in wood. I can see it working better in brass etc. but even that would be limited.

mboydraska
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis homebuilt

Post by mboydraska »

I did forget to mention that I select area not to be machined in the first image. This does cut down on machining unnecessary areas. Attached is another image of the same train, image size is set at x=6" x y=3.833 (approx). As you can see the bit is small. I bought a engraving bit with an angle of 15deg. (spiral vbit from bits&bits) It turned out fairly well.
Attachments
train.jpg
HAPPY CUTTING
Mike

eugener
Model of CNC Machine: shop sabre

Post by eugener »

What settings did you use to get this image on photo carv?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

That post is over seven years old now and the person who posted it hasn't been on the forum for nearly four years.

If you look in the PhotoVCarve gallery section there are many similar pictures and people have posted about the settings they used for them.

The important thing to remember with carvings like this is that you won't get the effect in wood until it's been stained after carving.