Rhino and Cut3d......Problems with .stl files?????

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
McGuire

Rhino and Cut3d......Problems with .stl files?????

Post by McGuire »

Sorry if this has been answered before but I looked for previous posts and could not find an answer.
I am modeling in Rhino and when I save a file as an .stl and open it in Cut3D, All of the smooth surfaces are jagged. I have tried many options to fix this but the right one. I'm assuming this is more of a Rhino problem but any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks Mike

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Rhino and Cut3d......Problems with .stl files?????

Post by tmerrill »

Here is a quick answer that may help, but hopefully someone with more Rhino experience than me will contribute.

It is a Rhino issue, Cut3D is simply importing what the model is. So you need to focus on how to setup Rhino to create and export a more detailed model.

An .stl file is saved with a surface mesh of triangles. Rhino should have the ability to increase the number of triangles, which will improve surface quality at a cost of increased file size. Rhino also has a smoothing feature if I remember corrrectly, which may help.

Recommend you take a look in the Rhino Help file under .stl and see if something pops out. I have Rhino on my computer, but just found out I can't open the help file...

Tim

Edit: I just found these, they may be a good starting point and get you moving in the right direction:

http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/stlinfo

http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/meshfaq

McGuire

Post by McGuire »

Thanks. That's where I had my problem. I knew it has to do with the way it is meshed but I didn't know how to manipulate the settings. Thanks again!!!

bradyg

Post by bradyg »

Hi Vectric people,

I'm a big rhino user and was hoping that you are considering a direct rhino file import?

I am very impressed with your software and community and would like to becme a vectric customer and make use of cut3d for some of my projects.

Thanks, Greg

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

bradyg wrote:Hi Vectric people,

I'm a big rhino user and was hoping that you are considering a direct rhino file import?

I am very impressed with your software and community and would like to become a vectric customer and make use of cut3d for some of my projects.

Thanks, Greg
Hello Greg,

Thanks for the positive feedback but afraid we are unlikely to develop a direct Rhino import option.
The industry standard 3D STL mesh format essentially ensures that the file import process will work regardless of the version of Rhino being used as the modelling engine.

Tony

bradyg

Post by bradyg »

Tony Mac wrote:
bradyg wrote:Hi Vectric people,

I am very impressed with your software and community and would like to become a vectric customer and make use of cut3d for some of my projects.

Thanks, Greg
Hello Greg,

Thanks for the positive feedback but afraid we are unlikely to develop a direct Rhino import option.
The industry standard 3D STL mesh format essentially ensures that the file import process will work regardless of the version of Rhino being used as the modelling engine.

Tony
Hi Tony,

Fair enough, guess I'm just being lazy! Do you directly import Solid Works models? I'll give the slicer a go and see how it holds up on a test model.

Thanks for the reply, Greg