Adding a CRV file to another CRV file

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rusty
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Adding a CRV file to another CRV file

Post by Rusty »

Howdy All:
I have a project that requires aspects/designs to be combined from two different CRV files.
How do I open one & then add the other file as an entity within the first file?
I will then rename & save for toolpaths.
I have tried the import command but VCarve does not recognize the crv format as one that can be imported.
What am I missing?
Thanks all.
Rusty

Perry
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Modified Shopbot PRT96

Post by Perry »

Hi MJR
The simplest means to accomplish this is to open the first crv file with VC Pro, then minimize that window and launch a second copy of VC Pro. Open your second file in this window, select all vectors, copy (CTRL+C). Now go back to your original VC Pro program and paste (CTRL+V).
Works all the time for me. :wink:

MZiegler
Vectric Apprentice

Post by MZiegler »

Hi MJR, Perry is right, just do the copy and paste routine. Also you need to redo the toolpaths again. Mark

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

While I'll admit its VERY easy to just use the copy & paste, it would be very cool to have a "merge" option. At work I use Mastercam, it has a merge option which basically opens up another geometry file in the same window as your current one placing the XYZ origin points on top of each other. I use this alot as I sometimes have many parts in seperate files that use the same origin point and I can merge to check for fit or clearance or whatever. For example, One could have multiple elements of a sign in seperate files and merge each element in to make many different combinations of signs. Just easier than twiddling with everything getting placed just right. Just my opinion.

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

mcurtis
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mcurtis »

I usually do a File-> export to save the desired vector as eps or whatever, than import them into the new project with File->import.

Maynard

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

I didn't think of that. I'll have to try it out. Do you keep your same origin point when importing a eps? By that I mean if you have a cirlce with the center at x6.00 y3.00 does it import back in the same spot? Thanx for the tip, I'll give it a go.

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

Every files of a same project should all have the same Z origin (top or bottom), the same XY origine, the same XY offset and the same units in order to match. You can go around those rules but it will get confusing. The rest doesn't matter as long as origins and offset are respected.

Working this way on complex projects make it a layer like system. Just make it so that you can sort out things easily; name of files and toolpaths even sub folders. Making copies of the main/1st file keep it simple and easy instead of creating new file from scratch.
Last edited by Paco on Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Post by Rusty »

Thanks guys:

I forgot about the origin spot.
If I create a crv file then clip & paste another crv file into the original file will I experience any weird cutting starting points?
How would I verify that when I set up my cutter & press start to cut file that my start point is in the center of the workpiece (I always wook from the center)?
Thanks again for your replies.

Rusty

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

Material setup settings.

Center XY origin make it even easier than corner origin.

If in doubt, make testing toolpaths... it's all a matter of understanding what's going "behind" the scene and maybe confidence in what you do... base on knowledge. :roll:

If a circle center is at 2,3 then it'll be be copied at 2,3 each time unless you move it.

A word of caution, don't swap between top and bottom Z origin; choose one way and stick with it to avoid any trouble. This is an option for different machine and sometime as a one's particular habit. About the same is true foe units.

Don't overlook XY origin offset and Center vector in material option which can move thing "without" notice.

If you wonder about a vector(s) position, check it with the move selection tool (considering the anchor position).