Here's your sign.

The Gallery is for posting photographs and images of work machined using Cut2D
indycraft

Here's your sign.

Post by indycraft »

My landlord needs new signs. He is moving his automotive repair business into a new building. He has piles of styrofoam he purchased from a roofing company up to 6 inches thick. So I have been planing the foam to thickness with the hot wire and cutting it up. I have to make over 200 characters 10"x1" or 23"x1.5" or 23"x3". He is going to paint the letters and mount them himself and I am glad for that. While I am not a sign maker the Vectric Cut 2D has made this job a snap.
My first sign letters.  Vectric Cut 2D makes this job easy.
My first sign letters. Vectric Cut 2D makes this job easy.

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Re: Here's your sign.

Post by RoutnAbout »

Those letters look crisp and sharp. Great Job...
200 pieces should keep you busy for a while!!!
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

indycraft

Post by indycraft »

RoutnAbout wrote:Those letters look crisp and sharp. Great Job...
200 pieces should keep you busy for a while!!!
Thank you. Yeah with my small machine it does take a while as I don't like to run it faster than 50 ipm. Corners get rounded if I do. I told him he could probably buy them for less than I can make them but.......he likes me.........and he'll have no cash out as he will credit my rent. I like that.

Joe Bloggs
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Joe Bloggs »

indycraft wrote:My landlord needs new signs. He is moving his automotive repair business into a new building. He has piles of styrofoam he purchased from a roofing company up to 6 inches thick. So I have been planing the foam to thickness with the hot wire and cutting it up. I have to make over 200 characters 10"x1" or 23"x1.5" or 23"x3". He is going to paint the letters and mount them himself and I am glad for that. While I am not a sign maker the Vectric Cut 2D has made this job a snap.
KBA foam letters Test.jpg
If you are using MACH 3, go into Config-general config, lower right hand corner-positive stop on angle, and enter a degree angle, then you can run faster and not get rounder corners.

indycraft

Post by indycraft »

stoneyreef wrote:
indycraft wrote:My landlord needs new signs. He is moving his automotive repair business into a new building. He has piles of styrofoam he purchased from a roofing company up to 6 inches thick. So I have been planing the foam to thickness with the hot wire and cutting it up. I have to make over 200 characters 10"x1" or 23"x1.5" or 23"x3". He is going to paint the letters and mount them himself and I am glad for that. While I am not a sign maker the Vectric Cut 2D has made this job a snap.
KBA foam letters Test.jpg
If you are using MACH 3, go into Config-general config, lower right hand corner-positive stop on angle, and enter a degree angle, then you can run faster and not get rounder corners.
Thank you for this information. I do use Mach 3 and will check it out.

indycraft

Post by indycraft »

I ended up making the entire sign. The frame is 46'7" long and 34" tall. I built the frame in two pieces. We finally got around to mounting it yesterday.
Attachments
Tracy's Auto Center Sign.jpg

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

You do good work! Thanks for sharing!

indycraft

Post by indycraft »

mikeacg wrote:You do good work! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you.

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hello,
the sign looks great! Thanks for posting the follow up and picture.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

indycraft

Post by indycraft »

If you are using MACH 3, go into Config-general config, lower right hand corner-positive stop on angle, and enter a degree angle, then you can run faster and not get rounder corners.[/quote]

I did do this this and it is working great. Thank you.
bart

GaryR6
Vectric Wizard

Post by GaryR6 »

How was the waste material, ie were you using a vac system? Any issues with static charge when cutting the foam?

indycraft

Post by indycraft »

GaryR6 wrote:How was the waste material, ie were you using a vac system? Any issues with static charge when cutting the foam?
It was messy. I didn't use my dust shoe...not sure why I didn't. I blew the waste off the machine as I was cutting. The waste was charged and clung if I didn't blow it off.
I am glad I don't work with foam on a regular basis. This was a one time project.

Bart

LouF
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: FLA100-00

Post by LouF »

The sign looks great a very good looking sign..
Lou