what cad progam works best

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
MaxRichards
Vectric Apprentice

what cad progam works best

Post by MaxRichards »

Hello,

What cad software works best with vcarve 3.1.
I have other software-cam but it does not work like I think it should.

Max
Max
making molds & turningwood in west Texas

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

I'd say Inkscape and COREL draw are the best bang for the bucks (mostly Inkscape since it's "free" [Open source]). COREL package has more features but the learning curve is steeper...

RichardF
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RichardF »

Here is another one :

http://www.a9tech.com/

The smaller one is free like Inkscape and you might give it a chance.

Richard

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Peter Stenabaugh »

I picked up a full copy of Corel X3 off the internet for $169US. It is actually a student version, but you get all the licence and autorization codes for it. The regular retail is $399 US off the net, so I got a good deal. For what I do, fooling around and stuff it is plenty good enough, even if it is sort of black market software. I pretty much use it only for converting bitmaps to vector format and it does a good job.

I have also tried out Inkscape, but most of the time, I have found Corel does a nicer job on scanned images in TIF format. I use Corel to trace the bitmap, then export the Corel image as .eps and bring it into Vcarve. The only problem in doing this is that Corel will make you a double set of vectors (dont know why), so you need to use the "select duplicate vectors" command in Vcarve and delete the double set, and you are good to go.

For actual CAD packages, you only need something to draw a 2D image, and be able to save it off as dxf, or eps. Both of these functions can be done with Autocad, but for the occasional user it is far too expensive. Autodesk also makes a cad program call Autosketch, which sells for about $170 or less on the internet. It is only a 2D program though, and I dont know if it will export .eps, although it will export .dxf files.

Apart from that, there are several 2D cad programs on the market that are cheap, or free, it all depends on your needs.

Turbocad is also a good program, selling for about $149 or less, off the net as well. Turbocad will read and write .dxf files for you.

Pete

Jonmilligan

Post by Jonmilligan »

:wink: Hi, I use Xara Extreme. Its a good program for $79.00. Exportfrom Xara as an *.ai or *. eps seems to wok fine with Vcarve
http//www.xara.com

beacon14

Post by beacon14 »

I use DesignCad and have no problems exporting as a .dxf (version 14) and importing into Vcarve Pro. You can get the 2D version of DesignCad for around $50, sometimes less.

MaxRichards
Vectric Apprentice

Post by MaxRichards »

:D
Thanks guys I will look into these progams as soon as my router gets here.
Max
making molds & turningwood in west Texas

jemmyell

Post by jemmyell »

Hi,

You can get CorelDraw X3 and an introductory class for $140. LVS online offers the class for $25 and they are a Corel education partner. I bought my Academic Version direct from Corel for $115 after signing up for the intro to X3 from LVS.

-James Leonard