First, thanks to all for the nice comments and PM's. My personal gain in writing this was to get the satisfaction of helping others, and that has worked.
Interesting observation and question. Up to this project I had always shaded the dish around the design, just keeping it a little lighter so the image would stand out. For this project, I talked myself into leaving the dish natural so the image would really stand out. You can't be that careful with the brush, so I ended up with a border of glaze to be removed. The FlexCut scrapers really worked great here. When I put the shellac on the image prior to the glaze, I did cover the entire dish. So all I had to do was scrap the glaze off the surface of the shellac and never came close to touching bare wood. But it was still very tedious, especially with the 3D images being so small. I actually made two complete story boards, so got to do it to twice as many images.
Thanks for asking.