Conversion to Vectors

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Conversion to Vectors

Post by Rik »

OK, here's the question. I want to convert true type fonts to a useable format for VCW, are there any free or low cost utilities out there to accomplish this, or am I asking the improbable? Some body here should know. I am the worst type of surfer I know and usually need help finding stuff. There are a ton of fonts I'd like to use for some of my future products but, I draw in Auto Cad 2000 and the imbedded fornts are not broad enough. Any suggestions folks? :? :?

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

DRAW in Open Office... at www.openoffice.org

It's "FREE" but a tad of a large download... but definitly worth it! If you don't know Oo by now, you may just discover a new GREAT piece of softwareS... :wink:

Scott
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha running Centroid Acorn

Post by Scott »

Rik,

I don't use AutoCad, but I would think that you could use any font that you have on your computer with the "Text" tool. Once you have your text there, you will have to explode the text and remove any fill before saving as a .dxf.

A better option may be finding an older version of CorelDraw somewhere like on Ebay.

I'm not sure about a free solution, but you could try "Gimp". http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/ I'm not sure if it does text in the needed way as I have not had time to check it out. Others may know of some free solutions for you.

Scott

Scott
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Scott »

Ya beat me Paco, that's right, OpenOffice.org has a nice "CorelDraw" like program in it. I've breifly checked it out on Suse Linux but forgot about it for Windows.

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

Unfortunatly, The GIMP would'nt be of any help with VCW until VCW can import SVG; The GIMP is mostly a "raster" type of imagery software... but a VERY GOOD one! Even if VCW can work with SVG, The GIMP will not be the best CAD to work with VCW... Sure worth to have too; one can then work some more any image (including the saved 3D rendering of VCW).

The COREL package would be my number one choice too for intensive 2D CAD designing at a fair price... Oo will help you a lot for basic stuff AND on MANY other field...

Is that Scott a Scott that I know?! :roll:

hbhbbb

Post by hbhbbb »

Yup, as seen over at "Lets Talk ShopBot". Hi Paco :)

I wasn't sure about "The Gimp" being able to do any vector type of text manipulation.

Scott

Scott
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Scott »

Hmmm...."Log me in automatically" doesn't seem to work for me always?

Scott

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Scott,

This problem is usually associated with either Deleting Cookies or having them Blocked in your Internet Options settings.

Tony

Rik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rik »

Thanks for the quick come back guy's. I must appologize but I seem to already Have a software that will do that on my desktop in the unused icons folder. Until recently I just did'nt need it but now I do. Thanks again fellas. It's good to be amongst friends. Happy Christmas.

Paul A
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot-Laser-Custom CNC & Indexer

Post by Paul A »

Hi Rik

Try Deskengrave from http://deskam.com this will convert TTF to DXF + it is free

Paul

hbhbbb

Post by hbhbbb »

Yes sir, that's the one I have. Gave a copy to the cnc dept. at my last job and they engraved all sorts of stuff very successfuly.

Scott
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Scott »

There's been a lot of talk about Inkscape http://www.inkscape.org/ on this and other forums. It's free and it will save as .eps. When saving, chose to convert text to curves.

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Inkscape and Part Wizard

Post by RoutnAbout »

Has anyone using Inkscape ( http://www.inkscape.org/ ) been able to import the eps file into Part Wizard2 after they have coverted the raster to vector using the Trace Path?

I allows me to import it.. but then it gives me errors while trying to load and it never loads.

Don
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

Yes I just tried three files and they opened in PW2. Are you saving the files on a floppy? The reason I ask is because I had problems opening some files when put on a floppy.
Dan

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

No, I haven't saved them to floppys, I save them to a direectory outside of Inkscape and Part Wizard.

I wonder if I'd Reinstall both peices of Software if that would help.

I'll give that a try later on today.

Don
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don