No roughing toolpath created

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
dmthomson
Vectric Craftsman

No roughing toolpath created

Post by dmthomson »

I think I'm having small brain sydrome set in but when I'm working in Cut3D (Partworks 3D in the ShopBot world) I'm trying to generate a roughing toolpath for one of the VectorArts 3D files and getting an error dialog that says:

"No toolpath has been created for the current roughing parameters.
Check the tool stepdown does not exceed the cut plane depth"

I' not sure what the "tool stepdown" is or the cut place depth is.

I'm working with a piece of material that is 17"(X) 8"(Y) and .65" thick. My 3D model is set to carve .1875" deep into this material. I am selecting a 1/4" end mill to do the rough work. I have it set up for a for:

- pass depth of .1875
- stepover of .065
- Spindle speed 14000
- feed rate 2.0"
- plunge rate .2"
- rapid clearance gap .2"
- machine allowance .04"
- strategy - Raster X

Any ideas why I might be getting this little uninformative dialog box?

Thank you for any help!
Don
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
http://www.dlwoodworks.com

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Re: No roughing toolpath created

Post by JamesB »

In glancing quickly at your parameters I would say its becuase your pass depth is equal to the depth of your model. As such the first pass it is trying to make is at 0.1875 deep and that is already at the base of your model so there is nothing to rough (as the alowance 0.04" means the deepest it will allow a pass with your current settings is 0.1475")

You will need to specify a pass depth of less than 0.1475 to get any kind of cut (I think?) Not knowing the specifics of what you are cutting it sounds like the model is quite shallow for the size of the part and either only needs a cursory roughing pass or none at all. It may even be better to cut it deeper for more detail (this depends on exactly what you are cutting through). If you want more suggestions send a screen shot of what you are doing and I am sure others will chime in.

dmthomson
Vectric Craftsman

Re: No roughing toolpath created

Post by dmthomson »

Thanks for your quick response JamesB!

What I'm trying to do is cut the VectorArts 3D square rope pattern into a raised door panel that will be about .5" inside where the raised panel profile starts. I only want to relief carve about .1875" because inside this rope border will go another VectorArts carving of a cowgirl that will be dished out to .5". The panel itself is .75" thick so I have to be conservative in my cutting depths. The rope border is to just add a little more interest to the panel. I'm also trying to figure out how to make the 3D model longer then it is wide but am still struggling with that. The rope border - outside dimension - needs to be 13.5" long by 5.5" wide.

This is a panel for a sample door I'm making to show potential customers and have available for show-and-tell at shows I go to. I will be making a total of 4 of these doors with different VectorArt carvings in them.

Thank you,
Don
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
http://www.dlwoodworks.com