Inlay Toolpath

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
woodchuck
Vectric Craftsman

Inlay Toolpath

Post by woodchuck »

We are in the process of doing our 1st inlay project. I ran the parts both male and female last night. I'm cutting this out of loose laminate. My question is on the allowance offset. Does that value need to increase to get a better fit? Currently its at .05mm. When the pieces go together they give a wrinkled look. It could be because it's not glued down. Also is double side taped the best to use to hold small pieces down. Thanks
Charlie Gilmore
www.millworkunlimited.net
Biesse Rover

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Re: Inlay Toolpath

Post by Paul Z »

Could you post your files and perhaps a picture? It would make it a lot easier to understand what is happening.

Paul Z

woodchuck
Vectric Craftsman

Post by woodchuck »

I have attached a PDF of what the logo will look like. I could not get the file uploaded it says it's too large.
Attachments
ClubhouseLogo.pdf
(547.68 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
Charlie Gilmore
www.millworkunlimited.net
Biesse Rover

cas17013
Vectric Apprentice

Post by cas17013 »

This may be a worthless suggestion, but why not try a simple/small square inlay sample with different values to find what works best for you. I have tried a few inlays with mixed results, and this is what I plan to do before I try my next "real" project. Depending on your machine, and tooling what works best for one person may not be best for your hardware.

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Post by cabnet636 »

James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl