Gallery Of Machines

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
lpcsales
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lpcsales »

Kimon, I like that laser setup! I actually bought one 3 weeks ago and installed it to my unit, but found out quickly that it had to travel with the Z-axis (duuh), like it does on yours. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to mount it to the Z without it hitting something else during Z travel. I have a laser pen that I can mount in the 1/2" collet, but what the heck, if I have to do that why not just use the a V-bit, which is most used anyway..on my system.
Dave
Epilog 24TT 40w and Legend 36EXT 75w Laser Engravers, Roland SP-300V, BabyLoc PR600 Embroidery Machine, Panther 24" Vinyl Cutter, Mighty Presses (hat & T-Shirt), PRT48 Router

mark296
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mark296 »

Here is a picture of my homemade machine.
Attachments
PICT0002.JPG
(693.2 KiB) Downloaded 1692 times

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Hey Mark got a couple of questions for you. What's your cutting area? Looks pretty big. Also how well does your dust collection setup work. I've been kicking around dust collection ideas and one thing I like about your setup is you can always see and get at the bit.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

mark296
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mark296 »

dighsx wrote:Hey Mark got a couple of questions for you. What's your cutting area? Looks pretty big. Also how well does your dust collection setup work. I've been kicking around dust collection ideas and one thing I like about your setup is you can always see and get at the bit.
The cutting area is 22"X46". I get a cutting speed of 120ipm and I am very happy with the results I am getting from it. The dust collection keeps most of the table clean and collects most airborne dust up to 30 microns but it still need some work.
This machine is in the basement so I must keep the dust down or my wife will have me dusting upstairs.
I have a camera hooked up to it so I can watch it from my computer upstairs while working on my next cut with VCarve.

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Ohh I like the camera idea. That's just the nerdy kinda thing I like. I've got an old webcam around here some place. I should hook it up and make it so I can check my machine from the web. Then I should set it up so can check it from my cellphone..... You can now see I have a serious problem when it comes to over complicating things involving computers.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

andkal

Post by andkal »

My work horse

Andy K

Colin P F
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Colin P F »

:shock: Wow that's what I call a machine, Nice setup Andy.

Cheers,

Colin

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Andy, looks like that machine has a automatic tool changer? How does it work, almost looks like the bits are on a carousel.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

andkal

Post by andkal »

Yes, 8 position automatic tool changer as well as a 9 bit drill bank. 60" x 120" table. I use the CNC mostly for nested based cabinet parts

Andy K
Attachments
DSCN2502.JPG
(507 KiB) Downloaded 1431 times

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Very cool.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

mark296
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mark296 »

andkal wrote:Yes, 8 position automatic tool changer as well as a 9 bit drill bank. 60" x 120" table. I use the CNC mostly for nested based cabinet parts

Andy K
Sweet, I want one.

FastCote

Post by FastCote »

Back to a more humble home-grown machine....

Jay, here is MY version of your latest machine. (thanks to JoeChevy for his design). I also first built a simpler design and used it to cut all the pieces for this one. I had to scrounge for the delrin and acrylic parts as i am too cheap to pay current prices for plastic.

I added a dust collector to it. the collector head is designed to ride right on top of the material. Instead of being attached to the z-axis, it rides allong with the Gantry Y-axis and can be adjust for any material height. This kiieps it centered on the spindle, but right down on top of the cut. It is always right where the chips and dust are. To change the bit, just slide the holder out of the slotted pocket or just raise the z-axis up high.
Attachments
Cote Mill.JPG
(483.24 KiB) Downloaded 1263 times
dust collector_a.JPG
(482.91 KiB) Downloaded 1046 times
dust collector_b.JPG
(421.42 KiB) Downloaded 1356 times
Last edited by FastCote on Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

So how fast can you run your machine? Do you get any whip in your x-axis lead screw.

That vac setup is interesting. Also I would have never thought to run the T-track that way but with that layout you really have a lot of clamping options.

Nice work.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

FastCote

Post by FastCote »

I LITERALLY just got it put together. (My knuckles are still bleeding). Mach3 is set to 70ipm on all three axis and i dont notice and stepper lock or lost steps. Im pretty sure i can get 80-90 with tweaks. Not bad considering the last one was only good for about 15 ipm. I havent done more than flip the shop vac on to try this dust setup. i imagine it will work well, though i will have to be careful about clamping locations 'cause the clamp holder sits quite low.

Jay, my steppers are the HobbyCNC 200 oz ones, and i am running Mach3 parallel port version. Did you every put those 762 oz ones on your mill, and is it a worthwhile upgrade from where my machine sits?

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

I've gotten mine up to 150ipm on rapids but I start to get too much shake. I think you're right that around 80ipm is a good speed If you get any whip let me know I made some cheap-o leadscrew pre-loaders. Here's a picture of one. I've got one on the x and the y and it really smooths things out.
Attachments
IMG_6107.JPG
(410 KiB) Downloaded 1577 times
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)