V-Carve Wizard suggestio for enhancement

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Phil
Vectric Wizard

V-Carve Wizard suggestio for enhancement

Post by Phil »

I am quite pleased with the program. I would like to be able to trim or cut part of an object as part of the node editing feature.

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the suggestion and I can confirm that this feature will be available in the next major release (which will be free to all registered users), along with many other improvements to the node editing abilities of VCW.

Regards

Brian

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Sounds great. Any projections on when to expect the next release?

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi Phil,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I'm afraid we haven't got any projections at the moment, but I don't expect this to be available untill some time in the new year.

Cheers

Brian

Roger N

copy tool paths

Post by Roger N »

Hi,

Is there anyway in the program to copy tool paths to make multiple duplicate parts. I make a lot of little parts for different people and they can order from one to 50 at a time. I woluld like to be able to have a toolpath for one part and when they order copy it to match their order. I could not find anyway to do this in the demo. Thank you.

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Roger,

What you need is the ability to block copy paste 'x' times with an X Y gap or offset between each component, and the next major release of VCW will include this for vector shapes, but not toolpaths. Once you have created the required number of shapes / components these can very quickly be toolpathed. In the short term the only way to do this is to create the design in your preferred drawing package.

Hope this answers your question.

Tony Mac

CLyon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by CLyon »

I wonder if it would be possible to have an "options" selection page where a few of the default settings could be set. For example, the usual thickness or material appears to be set at 1 inch, and I would prefer the default to be .75. I would also prefer that "Origin Offset" not be checked as the default. Being able to tighten controls on a few of these factors would speed use of the program.

The other improvement that would make a dramatic difference is to optimize the tool path creation. There is a tremendous amount of wandering around the material. While there is a certain delight in watching a clean up pass through a vector 5 minutes after the initial pass, it would often be more efficient to make double passes while in the neighborhood. Similarly, completing all vectors originating in each area of the art would appear to be more efficient than the wandering that appears to happen now.

I continue to be delighted with the program.

Perry
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Modified Shopbot PRT96

Tool Database

Post by Perry »

Hi Tony and Brian. I have been quite busy since I purchased V Carve Wizard. One issue that I have noticed that occurs. While my tool database has been edited for the feed rates of my machine (1.5"/sec on a Shopbot PRT96), I am plagued with the issue of having to re-edit my feed rate on tooling that is used to "pocket" during a V carve tool path calculation. My Endmill 1/4" always resorts back to 10.0"/sec with a plunge rate of 4.0"/sec. I can edit it for that particular jobs toolpath, but I close the software and open it again the pocketting rate resorts to 10 and 4". Should I check my tool database, that tool is set for 1.5" and 1.5".
Any thoughts?

Thanks guys. Other than this anomaly, I can't fault the software. It is fantastic.

Since purchasing the VCW software 3 months ago, my PRT has made me more income than in the first 4 years of owning it. Everyone has an idea or thought that they wish carved out of wood. Some samples of our things can be found at http://www.woodnmore.blogspot.com

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Perry,

Great to see the software is paying for itself and Thank you for the positive feedback.

Try the following,

From the Main menu along the top of the interface select,

Edit > Tool Database

Edit the Feeds and Speeds for the 1/4" End Mill and click Apply

(Always click the Apply button after making a change to the properties of a tool in the database)

Create a new toolpath and select the appropriate tools

Click the Edit button to check the correct Feed rate is being used?

Let us know if the problem persists.

Regards,
Tony

Perry
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Modified Shopbot PRT96

Tool database

Post by Perry »

Hi Tony, thanks for quick reply. I have done as you suggested. The results haven't changed. Here is what I tried.
New file. Select circle tool. Draw a circle. Vcarve circle with a 90 x 1/2" Vbit and endmill 1/4". The tool database for this this endmill is still set for 1.5"/sec feed and 1.5"/sec plunge. Create tool path. click on (pocket) toolpath, edit and the speeds are set for 10.0"/sec and 4.0"/sec. Now if I take that same circle, select machine vectors, pocket and select endmill 1/4". Create a tool path, click on it and edit the tool, it has remained as it should (and reflects what I had inserted in the tool database) at 1.5" feed and 1.5 plunge.

Hope this helps.

mcurtis
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mcurtis »

A rebuild all button would be handy. Rather than going through each tool path and recalculating after a drawing or material change, one button to rebuild all tool paths.

Maynard

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Tabbing function

Post by Phil »

I have a shopbot and Part Wizard is my primary software. Part Wizard has a tabbing function to hold onto parts that are being cut out. When tabbing is added the software slows down the machine as the Z axis raises for the tab. The tab is only necessary on the final depth of cut yet the software runs the tab cut on every depth of cut pass. For a 3/4" thick part at .125 deep passes this tabbing cut is run 5 times when it is only needed on the last depth of cut pass. I would like to see V-Carve have a tabbing function that only runs the tab cut on the final depth of cut pass.

mcurtis
Vectric Apprentice

Line Properties

Post by mcurtis »

Adding a dialogue box for line properties similar to circle. Lately my work has been more engineering than art, and have been frustrated placing lines in exact locations. A snap grid would help, but I find these frustrating as well. Prefer to type in coordinates, similar to cad programs. Could also be useful for curves, and for editing shapes. I realize your intent is to keep the vector functions simple, but once you start using vcw editing tools, there is no option to save to dxf (or whatever) and use another tool. I find your limited editing tools superior to cad tools, and use them often. I suppose I create my own problems, by coming to a roadblock with your tools, and need to start from scratch agin in another cad tool.

Have you thought about adding a toolbar across the top, to replace some of the functions on Draw bar on the left. For instance, if all the file and view operations were moved to a toolbar (fundamentally a diferent than drawing) , perhaps there would be enough room to display properties in a section of lthe draw bar, without covering the entire box. I guess the problem I encounter is continually changing windows.

Just some thoughts
Maynard

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Gidday.
I am quite impressed with Vcarve and would like to see:
A Tabbing feature as mentioned by phill as this is important on some machines for small parts.
A Simple Text editor/tool in the drawing pannel
Cheers

CLyon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by CLyon »

Tony et al

Couple of suggestions:
- I would second the suggestions for a tab edit option for 2d toolpaths that will result in cutting through the material. It removes the moment of panic when the last cut is done and the router is still at risk for marring or hurling the cut out part. Some of the same function can be obtained by cutting material depth minus a couple thou, and then sanding - but this is a big effort for very large parts or multiple cut outs.

- I would second the requests for auto recalc of tool paths when material or scales are changed. In a complex piece, the combinations of pocket cuts, vcarving and other 2d cuts can be painful to recreate if you must adjust the project.

- I fully support not attempting to include a full vector editing tool set - though I am looking forward to text edit tools! Since I do much of my 2d design work in Inkscape, it would be nice if VCarve could import SVG graphics. Inkscape is unfortunately unable to reload eps files after saving them in that format - so edits must begin anew with the original file or a parallel save of the SVG file before saving as eps. I have no idea if this is a nontrivial task - but is would sure make moving back and forth between the programs to tweak a project easier.

Continue to be delighted with the program. I've carved projects as big as 2 by 3 feet, and carved legible 8pt print. I am meeting with a violin maker today to discuss decorative engraving on his $15-i30,00 instruments. The whole thought is a bit frightening!