Gallery Of Machines

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Gallery Of Machines

Post by dighsx »

Chuck (CRFultz) and Bill S gave me the idea that we should have a 'Gallery of Machines’. So here it is. Post up a picture or two of your machine and maybe some quick specs on it. Also if you built it yourself tell where you got the design.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Here are my two machines. The first one is a JRGO design that I build last summer. It was my first CNC. It had 269oz steppers and was controlled by a Xylotex 3 axis controller and then Mach3 on the PC side. I biggest I could cut was about 15X20 inches.

The second picture is my new machine that I just finished. Cutting area is about 24X49 and is controlled by a custom-built power supply with Gecko 202's and a CNC4PC breakout board. Still using Mach3 on the PC side. I'm also upgrading the motors to 762oz NEMA 34 Steppers. The design is a Joe2006 (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17279)

Sadly my first machine will be coming down to make room of the new one.
Attachments
IMG_6094.JPG
(126.25 KiB) Downloaded 5253 times
IMG_4098.JPG
(496.7 KiB) Downloaded 7882 times
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Okay here's mine...
Completed about two years ago....took exactly one year to build ..start to finish.
2 months was nothing but sourcing and AutoCad work. I did all the machine work myself except for turning down the ballscrew ends.

I have 5/8" ballscrews pushing around the 3 axis on THK SSR 20 rails.
The steppers are about 450oz.
The drives are Geckos and the breakout board is SoundLogic from Bob Cambell.
The computer is a ASUS 2.2 with 512 ram....
I have 9 precision intricately (sp?) safe proxs...3 on each axis...
I used Igus wire tracks...throughout.
The power supply is 48vdc MR25 TelCom battery charger with its own cooling setup...its mounted behind the Hoffman enclosure with the 1 KVA control power transformer.

There's alot more but you get the gist of it... :)

Chuck
Attachments
003.jpg
(88.48 KiB) Downloaded 3559 times
002.jpg
(80.08 KiB) Downloaded 4016 times
001.jpg
(80.48 KiB) Downloaded 7068 times

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

And two more...sorry about the quality...i had to reduce them down cuz of limits.
Attachments
005.jpg
(81.06 KiB) Downloaded 2767 times
004.jpg
(68.38 KiB) Downloaded 3942 times

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Okay...Tony...Brian...show us what you got!

I know you guys are driving those caddy routers...give us a pic or two

Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Hi Jay,

Here is my effort, Not the best looker in the world but it will do for me, I first made a stand alone but then with all the dust and all I decided to build one in a box and I am glad I did.

Kind Regards

Bill
Attachments
On the way.jpg
(279.07 KiB) Downloaded 2760 times
Almost There.jpg
(304.9 KiB) Downloaded 2745 times
Up and running.jpg
(272.33 KiB) Downloaded 5327 times

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Very interesting to see what you guys are running.

Before electricity arrived in Redditch we were testing on this belt driven machine,

Then in August 2005 we made a few VCW sales and upgraded to an all singing and
dancing machine that certainly made testing the VCarving code a lot easier.

Not sure what the next generation will be, any ideas?

Tony

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Chuck and Bill S, did you guys design the machines yourselves or use plans?

Tony, It's a scary thought to think of you and Brian sewing.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

From a V3D it to a Sister?...ya'll are moving in leaps and bounds...how can ya keep up with all that techy advances.

You don't by chance have a water wheel outside do ya?...think of the energy savings

Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Hi Jay,

Part my own design, with bits and pieces seen on other sites, parts from JGRO drawings, A lot of mistakes.
This was my first go.

Bill
Attachments
!st go.jpg
(298.43 KiB) Downloaded 3917 times

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

It looks good Bill. I like the enclosure you made, that'd really cut down on dust and noise. So are you already thinking about building your next machine? If not I give it a few weeks and you'll start thinking about it.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

dighsx wrote:Chuck and Bill S, did you guys design the machines yourselves or use plans?

Tony, It's a scary thought to think of you and Brian sewing.
Jay if you think about gantry designs...they are all pretty much the same design...so I can't say I designed it...
mine was drawn up in cad with the same concept as all the others...but the plans are exclusive to me...the only thing i did different was to put the Y rails 90 degrees offset from each other...one supports Horz loads the other supports verticle....my z assy is quite heavy so I thought this would be the best design....doing the machine work was a pain to get the rail trucks to match up without using shims...my first attempt at 90degree alignment failed so i ended up building two complete assys. The second attempt matched up nicely. My next router will follow your design...i don't want to attempt that nightmare again. plus my next design will start from the router bit and everything will scale off of that. things get really tight when you work your way in. All in all I'm really proud of the work...to build one of these from scratch takes a whole lot of self discipline and dedication. i tend to be lacking in both sometimes :?

Chuck

dman
Vectric Craftsman

My Machine

Post by dman »

This is a pic of my machine during construction. I design came for looking at the Joe2006 machine while he was building it - before he offered the plans. Cutting area is 38 inches long and 24 wide. Running with a HobbyCNC controller and 200oz steppers using Mach3 from computer. Overall it finished up to be a pretty good machine. Sadly I don't have the pics of my first machine. It was my own design and worked well but the table just had too much flex. It did allow me to cut all the parts of the second though :D .
Attachments
Router 003.jpg
(75.77 KiB) Downloaded 4050 times

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Here is my new router. Finally got it together last weekend! Been working on it since last March. Travel is 28 inches by 28 inches by 4 inches. Table is made from Corian and has threaded inserts in it for clamping. Also has a series of 1/4 dowell holes that are drilled in line with the axis' so I can use them as a fence to bump my work up against. Have only cut a few sample pieces to make sure everything is OK. Will post some pictures when I do some real work in the gallery.

Jason
Attachments
000_0017.jpg
(543.94 KiB) Downloaded 3869 times

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Jason, I've always thought about using corian for a top. Any problems with it being flat? Looks like you glued it to a slab of MDF. Did you have a set of plans or was it your own design?
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)