This could be Paradise

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

This could be Paradise

Post by BigC »

Ok, I have finally succumbed to the lure of making my version of Michael Tyler's "Paradise Box" albeit in MDF.
As you can see (from the images below) the carve of the front and rear panels turned out better than expected.
Front & Back.jpg
I don't wish to waste good timber on this attempt as I convert all measurements to metric and adapt the tooling (bits and settings) to what I have available.
That's not to say that I don't want to give this a good shot, I do, but I'm unsure how to finish this piece given the material.
What options are open to me in this regard
Thanks in advance for any help offered which is always appreciated

Regards
C

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: This could be Paradise

Post by highpockets »

You might try painting it using the technique Michael used in the Autumn Fall Wreath Project of the Month....
John
Maker of Chips

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

highpockets wrote:You might try painting it using the technique Michael used in the Autumn Fall Wreath Project of the Month....
I'll give that a lookover
Thanks, John

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

A good place to start finishing mdf is with shellac to seal up the open pores.

Another technique (that would not work well on this project because of all the detail) is to use spackling compound on all the cuts then lightly sand. That provides a glass smooth surface.

I have had good results with the shellac followed by either gel stain or paint. I have a tool cabinet with lots of little drawers on my back bench, most people think it is made of cherry.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

The software will convert it all to metric for you so there is no chance of you making any mistakes. Just open the file & then select the set up icon, tick the box for mm & you will see all the figures change. Once you click on OK the screen will change & you will get a massage saying that all toolpaths need to be recalculated. Click OK to recalculate all toolpaths & then just go to the toolpath page, select each toolpath in turn & change the tool used to what ever metric version you have, :lol: :lol:

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

Thank you for all the assistance guys....
martin54 wrote:The software will convert it all to metric for you so there is no chance of you making any mistakes. Just open the file & then select the set up icon, tick the box for mm & you will see all the figures change. Once you click on OK the screen will change & you will get a massage saying that all toolpaths need to be recalculated. Click OK to recalculate all toolpaths & then just go to the toolpath page, select each toolpath in turn & change the tool used to what ever metric version you have, :lol: :lol:
YES, Martin, I've done all that and it's working out OK thus far (only the lid to make)
I still have to select my tools and speeds though as obviously they would be different from the OP's setup. But it's looking fine and I would love to make this from proper wood.
One slight query (I may have overlooked a step in the .pdf)
It concerns the front slot at the top where the front inserts into the rebate there's a slight anomaly (see image) was I meant to do something about this or is it natural?
a1.jpg
Regards
C

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Shorten the rectangle that is used for the chamfer on the front to about 10.5". Then you can use a hand chisel to square up the mortise corner on the side panels. You might want to do the same on the front edge of the top so it will match.

Another alternative would be to use a .25" point round over on the top edge of the front and on the front edge of the top.
Attachments
Front.jpg
Steve

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

That’s a good Tip, Steve.

Good job on your project, C. I agree to seal it with shellac before applying final finish. MDF is pretty much “the devil” for drinking up finishes on the edges and areas that have been carved (exposing the soft core).

I would seal two or three times with 50/50 mix of Bulls Eye SealCoat and Denatured alcohol, then follow with light sanding and a coat of full-strength SealCoat (you probably know SealCoat is a 2lb cut of Clear de-waxed shellac).

Depending on what the final finish will be, I may choose to apply a primer or even some spray clear coat before the final finish is applied.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

Yep! all sounds logical to me guys, I will just fill that gap this time around as I will more than likely be painting it, so it wont matter all that much.
On the next attempt will I will foreshorten the chamfer as advised.
Thank you for all your assistance. its always appreciated
Regards
C

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Here’s a link to a MDF project of the month. Possible finishing idea that you may want to consider:

https://www.vectric.com/vectric-communi ... irrorFrame
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I don't cut that chamfer on the front panel any more, just leave them with a square edge, don't think it makes a great deal of difference to the look & means it makes things a little easier. I set magnets in the top edge of the front panel & lid to keep them shut & the chamfer made it more difficult to do that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh & if I am linning them I put a strip of felt along that top edge :lol: :lol:

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

mtylerfl wrote:Here’s a link to a MDF project of the month. Possible finishing idea that you may want to consider:

https://www.vectric.com/vectric-communi ... irrorFrame
Thank You, Michael.
martin54 wrote:I don't cut that chamfer on the front panel any more, just leave them with a square edge, don't think it makes a great deal of difference to the look & means it makes things a little easier. I set magnets in the top edge of the front panel & lid to keep them shut & the chamfer made it more difficult to do that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh & if I am linning them I put a strip of felt along that top edge :lol: :lol:
Another feasible solution
Thank you, Martin.