Getting schooled on Vcarve in USA

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Brokenbear
Model of CNC Machine: Pirahana FX

Getting schooled on Vcarve in USA

Post by Brokenbear »

Before you read this understand I am absolutely positive I want in the CNC process and am also positive that Ventric is great product however I am just dumbfounded to find as I hunger to learn.. that there is NOT a formal or structured method to learn the full power of Vcarve Desktop

I'm new to CNC woodworking ..I bought a Piranha that came with Vcarve desktop as well as bought their digital probe to digitize my hand carvings

I find it incredible that there are no operators/instruction/training manual to support the Vcarve Desktop nor any other Ventric main line wood working software (that I can find)

As you can tell I am exasperated ...I have spent hours upon hours watching Ventric tutorials, you tube video's, books etc ...There simply is nothing to tie it together ..nothing to put "handles" on cause and effects of the various "tools" with in Vcarve ..anyone can take canned clip art and make a plaque with a horse on it ..but as it stands now.. only years of trial and ERROR can get you to proficiency to really utilize the software ..THAT IS CRAZY

For example there is no chart or written explanation etc.. that I can find anyway.. that explains the various available key strokes (or when to use said keystrokes) appropriate to the various screen you may be working in

I called the nearest Woodcraft retail store since they sell Piranha/Vcarve to see about their "guru" schooling me or classes ..NO Guru ...out of curiosity I called some other retail Woodcraft locations ..same story ..I am NOT knocking Woodcraft retail ..but to me ..this lack of competent personnel underlines the need to formalize training in some manner

So ..somebody who has spent the trial and error learning time for Ventric products here in the USA could certainly build a good business conducting classes around the country ..or formalize their knowledge thru written training

HOWEVER in the meantime ..if anyone knows of a US based individual or company that can train or teach Ventric products I would surely appreciate you sharing their contact info with me

Thanks
Bear

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Getting schooled on Vcarve in USA

Post by gkas »

What you want is someone to hand you years of experience. It doesn't work like that. The Vectric free tutorials are a LOT more than just about ANY software company provides. Spend $4,000 on SolidWorks and see what you get for free. On the inexpensive side, check your local Junior Colleges. They usually have a few classes.

P.S.
I know at least Michael Mezalick teaches beginner Vectric classes. I took a class from him when I bought my CNC, and it was EXCELLENT. I've heard nothing but good about his classes.

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

Thanks Gerry
Yes I've been teaching the software at the Axiom Headquarters for almost three years.
The classes are held, one week each month.
We offer Level 1, Level 2 and a Level 3 class, each being a two day event.
Here's the link if you're interested.

https://www.axiomprecision.com/vectric- ... class.html

Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The keystrokes (both shortcuts and quick keys) are on the Help menu under Keyboard shortcuts. The Help Contents is fully interactive so you can click on each part of the screen on the first page and be taken directly to the help for the function.

I'm not sure I would agree that there is nothing tying it all together. If you start at the beginning of the tutorials and work your way through actually doing the tasks as you do so you will build the knowledge to tie it all together. The worst thing you can do is try to run before you can walk and jump before you can run.

As has been said though there are some excellent classes around if that's the route you want to take.

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

The tools are there but it will take a little time to find them. As stated, Vectric has some great tutorials on their website that work you through various projects, Michael has his courses, there is the Aspire Workshop being held in Columbia, South Carolina, the annual users group meeting, THIS AWESOME SITE, the NWA users group site and you could possibly find some cnc users in your local area who would be more than willing to go over things with you. Check the list of users that might be in your area on the map on this forum - I think it's still there. Sometimes and sometimes not the users manual that comes with the cnc can be of great help. Elsewhere I referred to a very simple book that is an easy read taking one through using the cnc and Vectric's VCarve Pro product - Professor Henry's the Newbie's Guide to CNC Routing. My wife got me the book recently and I read through it in a couple of evenings. You already have your cnc and you have taken another necessary step and that's to participate on this forum. Lastly, like Scott55 grab a cup of coffee and enjoy the ride!

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by rtibbs »

As a “newbie” to the CNC world myself I had the same question. However after I found the Vectric Tutorials I was well on my way. I can’t commend the Vectric staff enough for what they provide for learning the software. In my book they are second to none in that regard and of course the forum here is one of the best. Yes, I’ve posted some dumb questions here and found everyone to be very respectful and tolerant of us new users.
As Adrian states we must walk before we can run.
Enjoy the process as it will be rewarding.

maineshops
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: home built

Post by maineshops »

I’m 78 yrs old and computer illiterate. Between the fine tutorials and this group i have had no trouble learning to work with my home built machine and crank out some fine work. There is a third element to the process..... “DO”. I heat my house with the mistakes that I make. For me I need to play with the process a lot in order to grasp it. Works for me .....Dan
Image is straight off the machine. No hand work yet
Attachments
38B26710-6F1A-4DDC-9E9A-023BAD723688.jpeg

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Hey Guys/Gals,

Let us not forget all the wonderful FREE Projects that an individual can learn from too!!!

When I started this trek three years ago I was like most of us here I knew very little about the Vectric Software. But with the Tutorials and FREE projects available I was able to learn it and of course there is so much to the various aspects of the software I still do not know everything about the software. To give an example I have yet to touch on or have touched very little on the Vector Texturing, Vector Distortion, Plate Production, and some of the other Tools that are available within V-Carve Pro. Oh and yes not to mention this Great Atmosphere of individuals willing to help others --- The VECTRIC FORUM!!!

Yes, I would imagine that it would probably be beneficial for some individuals to learn at a much faster pace to get up and running quickly by attending classes but in my own opinion learning on your own, and from others here on this forum and from your own mistakes can be PRICELESS!!

Just some thoughts!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Lithopanes
4th Axis
Stacked Text Signs
Photo Image Carving
3D Model Carving

Basics applicable to all Vectric Software, V-Carve Desktop, V-Carve Pro, Aspire to name a few.

Etc..., etc.... etc....

Just what classes would an individual teach that would satisfy the public consumer that isn't already being provided through Vectric Video Tutorials, Free projects, this Forum of Knowledge and of course, those individuals from the Vectric Staff that peer in on this forum from time to time offering assistance. Oh and yes of course THE GREAT STAFF SUPPORT AT VECTRIC!!!

Not to mention that an individual can learn at his/her own pace too!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Brokenbear
Model of CNC Machine: Pirahana FX

Post by Brokenbear »

I basically agree with most things said so far from you folks and I appreciate your input suggestion and thoughts ..no question given enough time and splintered lumber I could learn the ins and outs of Vcarve ..but I am working with variables not addressed that I can find so far any where ..I have found no reference to proper 3D modeling while using the spoil board as Zero instead top of material and the material set up to get the model fully to the bottom of the material to create the G code

Self taught is valuable and and almost forever with you ..but I see Vcarve about like buying your own airplane ..you can self teach and taxi it down to the local quick shop for a loaf of bread ..or get instruction and fly to wherever you want and pick up a case of steaks ..I'm just suggesting a way to reach for the steaks

If anyone knows of a tutorial or an accurate you tube explanation centered around spoil board zero and 3d modeling from the spoil board I would greatly appreciate it

Please keep the ideas coming

Merry Christmas to all
Bear

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

And of course there is the tried and true cliché: "The self taught will never know how much they don't know".
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Interesting how OPINIONS VARY!!!

And of course, there are some individuals here who are at an age where they may not want to know "EVERYTHING"! Just "Saying!"

Anyhow, Bear, I hope and wish you well in finding what it is you are looking for.

Happy Holidays,

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by rtibbs »

sharkcutup wrote:
And of course, there are some individuals here who are at an age where they may not want to know "EVERYTHING"! Just "Saying!"
Sharkcutup

Then there are those of us that are of an age when we want to know everything however, can’t remember what we had for lunch yesterday. Include me in that category :cry:

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Brokenbear wrote:I basically agree with most things said so far from you folks and I appreciate your input suggestion and thoughts ..no question given enough time and splintered lumber I could learn the ins and outs of Vcarve ..but I am working with variables not addressed that I can find so far any where ..I have found no reference to proper 3D modeling while using the spoil board as Zero instead top of material and the material set up to get the model fully to the bottom of the material to create the G code

Self taught is valuable and and almost forever with you ..but I see Vcarve about like buying your own airplane ..you can self teach and taxi it down to the local quick shop for a loaf of bread ..or get instruction and fly to wherever you want and pick up a case of steaks ..I'm just suggesting a way to reach for the steaks

If anyone knows of a tutorial or an accurate you tube explanation centered around spoil board zero and 3d modeling from the spoil board I would greatly appreciate it

Please keep the ideas coming

Merry Christmas to all
Bear
May I ask why you need to zero to the spoilboard and not the work piece?

I just typed "zero Z to spoilboard" in google and found loads of links to read and several youtube videos. As for 3D modeling and spoilboard zero... you won't find much of a match because quite simply, it is not really practical imo.

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Post by Aussie »

Go to one of Michael’s classes at Axiom
I have traveled from Australia to attend level 1 and then again for level 2, next year I plan to attend level 3.
You will learn more in an hour with Michael than you ever will watching utube, the next best learning platform is this forum.
Ron
Crafers Crafts