File splitting and transferal

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

File splitting and transferal

Post by BigC »

Hi.
I am wishing to make a few little plate stands supplied by a fellow member posted way back when.
Now he has them all (3 pieces) on one stock board.
I am wanting to make them from Oak but I only have narrow sections lying around.
I would like to be able to lay maybe 2 of the sections (legs) on one piece and the other (back) on the second section of oak.
I know this is a long way round perhaps
What is the best way to deconstruct the original file? is it just a matter of highlight, copy and paste into a newly created file and session of V Carve
or is there a simpler method
I hope I have made it clear what I'm trying to do here, if not please advise further
Thanks for taking the time to help out if you can.
Regards
C

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Re: File splitting and transferal

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Copy/Paste is your friend. Copy what you want to be a "different" job to the clipboard...create a new file with the required material sizing, paste the object and go from there. I do this quite frequently honestly...sometimes with some relatively complex things that would be a pain to re-create.

A second option is to take the original file and save-as a different/new file name, change the material parameters and delete the objects you don't need, process from there. That's sometimes faster than the other method but both have their benefits.

BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Post by BigC »

Jim_in_PA wrote:Copy/Paste is your friend. Copy what you want to be a "different" job to the clipboard...create a new file with the required material sizing, paste the object and go from there. I do this quite frequently honestly...sometimes with some relatively complex things that would be a pain to re-create.

A second option is to take the original file and save-as a different/new file name, change the material parameters and delete the objects you don't need, process from there. That's sometimes faster than the other method but both have their benefits.
Thank You Jim, appreciated
Regards
C

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Jim_in_PA wrote:Copy/Paste is your friend. Copy what you want to be a "different" job to the clipboard...create a new file with the required material sizing, paste the object and go from there. I do this quite frequently honestly...sometimes with some relatively complex things that would be a pain to re-create.

I agree with the first option. I have to do that a lot when I am messing with other folks projects since my machine is a 6040... very limited, so I have to break up to smaller projects. Copy n' paste to a new project file and try to duplicate the toolpath.