Layer Clipping 3d Components

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
bgrose4321
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 Pro

Layer Clipping 3d Components

Post by bgrose4321 »

Hello all,

A friend wants me to duplicate this sign for them. I have all the component clip arts. The issue is I am having trouble cutting the 3D elements off at the border vector. I believe this is called Layer Clipping. I am using Vcarve-pro 10 and having no luck achieving the desired design.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
Deer Sign
Deer Sign

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Layer Clipping 3d Components

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi,

The feature is called "Level Clipping" (not Layer clipping)

Here is a link to the "What's New" video. Go to 9:26 to view the level clipping section:

I could not locate a dedicated Level Clipping video tutorial. Perhaps I missed it or perhaps it hasn't been posted yet.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

You just need to use boundary vectors, the 3D componts outside the vector will still show in the 2D view but will not show in the toolpath preview if you use the Vector boundary option when creating toolpaths. :lol:
Not sure how level clipping works as not used it myself yet.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

The way I would attack that is to first establish a common shape height for each model. For example, if the border model is separate, go into the modeling and highlight the border, then hit the change properties of the model and set the Shape Height to something like .25. Now do this same setting to every model. Additionally, when in the Modeling, re-select the border model and create a vector boundary. Of course then go into your material setup and check your settings. Be sure there are no errors and I usually set the Gap Above Model to something like .001.

Then do a rough and finish 3D toolpath, select all of the models INCLUDING the border outside vector and at the Machine Limit Boundary, select the Selected Vectors option. This will tell the program to carve (both rough and finish) to a .25" depth everything inside that outside boarder vector. Easy peasy... ;) I hope this doesn't make things more confusing.

For the letters, just use a V bit 60 deg and Vcarve toolpath. Be sure to select 'Project Toolpath onto 3D Model' at the bottom of the toolpath menu.

I learned this by dissecting other 3D projects from the Vectric free monthly projects...

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

ezurick, there doesn't appear to be a border model, it's just the components within the internal rectangle I believe. :lol: :lol: