Quick Engraving on a 3D

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ezurick

Quick Engraving on a 3D

Post by ezurick »

Hi folks. I was working on a project which I am using the 3D scroll as a background and I am placing words on the scroll. My problem is that I really wanted to use the quick engraving, but there isn't an option to place the toolpath onto a 3D object like there is for a profile toolpath. Perhaps some folks will reply and say just use the profile. If that is the case, then could someone explain to me what the difference is between using the profile on single line letters versus the quick engraving?

To be honest, vcarve and profile toolpaths both chomp out too much material although I am only going .002 depth. The engraving on the single line letters look great, but my VC desktop doesn't have an option to put it on a 3D. Any advice?

ezurick

Re: Quick Engraving on a 3D

Post by ezurick »

Here is what I am talking about...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4qvtrupp4cak4v/tt.bmp?dl=0

This is the profile toolpath with a 60 Degree V bit of .002" depth. It is a single line font. Close up it is readable... from a distant, is is just chop suey!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Are you going by the preview or have you tried cutting it? If you're going by the preview then it looks like the preview resolution is far too low to me. Have a look on the Toolpaths menu at Preview Simulation Quality.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Adrian wrote:Are you going by the preview or have you tried cutting it? If you're going by the preview then it looks like the preview resolution is far too low to me. Have a look on the Toolpaths menu at Preview Simulation Quality.
Adrain, forgive my ignorance, but where on earth do I find this "preview resolution"? I can't find it anywhere. But I will say that my issue is not just the preview. I've actually used the profile on single line letters at .002 using a 60 Deg V bit and it looked like the preview. Very hard to read and a chopped mess. Every small letter 'e' had a hole it in. It isn't the tool because I've VC larger truefont stuff and it came out nice and clean.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Toolpaths menu, Preview Simulation Quality. Set it to Maximum and run the preview again.

Could you attach a file (copyright permitting) that shows the issue? It's hard to give advice from just the picture as there are so many things that could be up.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

When your cutting things like small text & graphics it can be a bit of a strain on the machine, even though you may not be cutting very deep the machine is making lots of sudden changes in direction so things like rigidity & tool deflection come into play more.
Often slowing things down can help with this, t will also help reduce tear out. Try slowing things right down to see if that makes any difference, if it does then you can experiment slowly inceasing your feed settings until you are happy with both the carving & the time it takes. :lol: :lol:

Can't be sure if there is a warning message but be aware that the higher you set the toolpath simulation resolution the longer the simulation takes to run. On a high end machine it's not a problem but on an older Computer it can make a big difference.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Adrian wrote:Toolpaths menu, Preview Simulation Quality. Set it to Maximum and run the preview again.

Could you attach a file (copyright permitting) that shows the issue? It's hard to give advice from just the picture as there are so many things that could be up.

Ok... There is absolutely NO Preview Simulation Quality in my Toolpath menu that I can find. Perhaps because I have the Desktop version, I don't know. Here is a screenshot of my toolpath menu

https://www.dropbox.com/s/plq23slzu87dg ... e.JPG?dl=0

I can't attach the crv file since it holds 3D objects. However, it isn't hard to reproduce an engraving on a 3D object. There is no option like the profile toolpath to place it on a 3D object. So the depth of the engraving is erratic on a 3D object.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

martin54 wrote:When your cutting things like small text & graphics it can be a bit of a strain on the machine, even though you may not be cutting very deep the machine is making lots of sudden changes in direction so things like rigidity & tool deflection come into play more.
Often slowing things down can help with this, t will also help reduce tear out. Try slowing things right down to see if that makes any difference, if it does then you can experiment slowly inceasing your feed settings until you are happy with both the carving & the time it takes. :lol: :lol:

Can't be sure if there is a warning message but be aware that the higher you set the toolpath simulation resolution the longer the simulation takes to run. On a high end machine it's not a problem but on an older Computer it can make a big difference.

Yeah, I will experiment with slower speeds on single line text and see if I can get better results... But this doesn't help if I am doing a quick engraving on a 3D object.

And lastly, I do not have a toolpath simulation resolution option on my Vcarve Desktop v10. Please show me where it is located because I can not find it for the life of me!

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Top of the screen where you have file, edit, model, toolpath

Under toolpath on the dropdown will be simulation preview. Probably set to standard just now :lol: :lol:

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Image 506.png
John
Maker of Chips

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Ok.. found it.. thanks guys. I was nearly scared that I was losing my mind looking in the toolpath menu for it. Perhaps someone needs to clarify that there are TWO toolpath menu options... I rarely even look up there since the toolpath is clearly on the screen on the right. Very deceiving and maybe this thread will help others lost like I was.

As I think about it.. why on EARTH place a setting option differently from the the actual toolpath menu? strange programming strategy. Or more complexity for the customer?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I use to think it belonged under the View tab, but as I thought about it, it's related to the Toolpath area so, that works too.
John
Maker of Chips

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

ezurick wrote:...... Or more complexity for the customer?
Yup, that is exactly why they do it. One thing software people hate is having more customers. Just makes life harder for them. The more complex the better.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

highpockets wrote:I use to think it belonged under the View tab, but as I thought about it, it's related to the Toolpath area so, that works too.
Intuitively, I still often click on the “View” menu expecting to set the Toolpath Preview display quality - can’t seem help it!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

TReischl wrote:
ezurick wrote:...... Or more complexity for the customer?
Yup, that is exactly why they do it. One thing software people hate is having more customers. Just makes life harder for them. The more complex the better.
Your sarcasm skills need some attention. However, to be quite honest, if you go to the normal toolpath menu on the right... there is were you will find EVERYTHING to control the toolpath except that quality adjustment. I mean, even the "preview" option is there along with the "save an image"... but you have to deter to another area to adjust the quality. Isn't quite practical to me. But that is just my opinion... what do I know. Been programming 'C' since the early 80's and have done many projects for DoD. Ok, back to my own little world.