Lithophane creation

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
rab3rd
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Lithophane creation

Post by rab3rd »

Maybe Im missing it, but Lithophane creation is now possible in vcarve pro (desktop as well) and I see the lithophane preview function in the tool path preview but I dont see how to create it in the first place. In aspire you do it on the model page, I dont see that in Pro.

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Re: Lithophane creation

Post by mohamed »

The software only provides the ability to visualize the toolpath preview on a Lithophane. Even though we don't provide the ability to convert an image to a relief in VCarve, we can import clipart / STL and manipulate them (invert and adjust the height) so you can use on a Lithophane for example. How you get to a sensible model is up to you (and as far the toolpath preview is concerned is irrelevant) which we've done this way to keep it flexible for different use cases. I hope this makes sense :)

Mohamed
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

rab3rd

Post by rab3rd »

Your website is misleading then, the comparison chart shows "create lithophane" the same way it does for aspire. Thankfully my upgrade to V10 was free, but had I been purchasing the upgrade on the idea that I could create them as your comparison chart implies, I would have been very upset. As it is I am very disappointed.

mohamed
Vectric Staff

Post by mohamed »

As far as I'm aware, we've never said anything about Lithophane creation in VCarve, but only Lithophane Preview / Simulation. That's what the V10 fearure is. The model creation process is up to you and your particular software's capabilities and we never said otherwise. Sorry that that was misunderstood. It is never our intention to mislead or up-sell anything. The Trial Editions are also always available to try features before buying.
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

rab3rd

Post by rab3rd »

screen shot from your website.

AdamJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by AdamJ »

Hi rab3rd

Thanks for pointing this out to us. We would really not like to sell something on false pretenses and this mistake of lithophane preview mode vs lithophane creation is an entirely honest one. If anybody were to upgrade on the basis of this feature then we would be more than happy to discuss that with them. I will remove that feature from the website as soon as I am back in the office.

In the meantime I hope this issue hasn't taken away too much enjoyment of the new version for you.

Adam

rab3rd

Post by rab3rd »

Additionally, reading your response again and it seem a bit abrasive. Im just pointing out that vectric is implying that lithophane creation is possible in Vcarve, and photo cave as well, by way of the feature comparison chart. Vectric might want to consider revising that chart or adding a foot note. It clearly says "lithophane CREATION" not "Lithophane preview" or "Lithophane simulation". I think the software is great and Ive never had a bad experience with Vectric, but this is misleading and Im just pointing it out.

rab3rd

Post by rab3rd »

Adam, thanks for the reply. Im only disappointed in that I dont get this feature, I understand its an honest mistake. It happens. I was excited as I have been wanting to try this and I will do it other ways now. I was just trying to point it out. Again Im happy with my software and thankful for the upgrade for free.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

rab3rd wrote:Additionally, reading your response again and it seem a bit abrasive.
Huh? :?

AdamJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by AdamJ »

All fair points and we'd absolutely want to fix it before somebody buys the software on that basis. Thanks again and enjoy the upgrade! Hopefully there are other new features to get excited about. :D

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

One column missing from the website screenshot is for "Photo VCarve" (PVC) which has a check next to "Lithophane Creation".

When viewing the product page for PVC is the quote:
PhotoVCarve is included with VCarve Desktop Version 10, VCarve Pro Version 10, and Aspire Version 10.
As PVC can create lithophanes and PVC is included with VCarve then in a round-about way VCarve can create a lithophanes---not directly within VCarve but with the included PVC program.

mohamed
Vectric Staff

Post by mohamed »

rab3rd wrote:Additionally, reading your response again and it seem a bit abrasive.
My intent wasn't to be abrasive at all. What I had in mind was the What's New video rather than the comparison page thus my response. Thanks again for pointing this out.
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Not trying to stir the fire here... but I believe his remark about "abrasive" refers to you saying this...

mohamed wrote:As far as I'm aware, we've never said anything about Lithophane creation in VCarve, but only Lithophane Preview / Simulation. ...Mohamed

That was rather abrasive when he pointed out clearly that your website stated otherwise...

~ peace

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Vectric staff clearly made an error in listing capabilities, I note the graphic in question has not changed a full 24 hours after it was pointed out. Tough to tell why the Lithophane Preview / Simulation feature is even included, seems to be nothing more than a teaser.
Doug

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

Xxray wrote:Vectric staff clearly made an error in listing capabilities, I note the graphic in question has not changed a full 24 hours after it was pointed out. Tough to tell why the Lithophane Preview / Simulation feature is even included, seems to be nothing more than a teaser.
I'd speculate they were working on it and only had time to get half it done before the announce date. But that's just a WAG. Honest mistakes happen all the time.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA