Telecaster Guitar Neck VCarve File Creation

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Cncmachine2
Model of CNC Machine: Mach3

Telecaster Guitar Neck VCarve File Creation

Post by Cncmachine2 »

Would anyone be willing to create VCarve files for me ,if I would supply a STL model of a guitar neck ? It would require 3D and 2D two side machining . I am currently running VCarve 9.5 and it would certainly aid in the learning curve.

Thank you.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Re: Telecaster Guitar Neck VCarve File Creation

Post by Jim_in_PA »

You can get "almost ready to cut" files for the Telecaster type instrument from Alex at contact @nbasses. com. (remove spaces) I started out using his files so I could learn the modeling at my own pace. And since the models are already created, they can be cut in VCP.

If you're a Tel fan, the TFPRI forum and specifically the "Tele Home Depot" forum area there will also be helpful to you.

Cncmachine2

Post by Cncmachine2 »

Awesome! Thank you Jim.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Just a quick hint if you decide to work with the files I referenced. Alex produces the front and back as separate files, but you can simulate "two sided" by putting alignment holes on the center axis Draw in a .252" or 6.35mm hole on the centerline at the top or bottom away from the cut line and mirror it to the opposite end. The group the two holes and copy them into the clipboard. Open the other file and paste them to that file so they are placed in the exact same positions as the other file. You only need to cut them once...on whichever side you machine first which I recommend is the top with the truss rod slot, etc. Before you remove the blank, use a .35" drill and extend the holes into your spoilboard so you can use dowels or metal rod as a position index. Once you cut that side, flip the blank horizontally and cut the other side. Everything will be exactly lined up. I also fine that making the tabs the full 20.74mm thick is a good idea to insure that nothing comes loose when you cut the back of the neck. Cut a few practice pieces first, too. 5/4 cedar deck wood is cheap and easy to surface to 20.74mm so you can cut and test before committing to the good stuff...and you DO want to cut several times to tweek things, such as the depth of the truss rod slot to match the particular truss rod you choose to use, etc.

Cncmachine2

Post by Cncmachine2 »

Thank you. I did order and receive plans from Alex. Exactly what I was looking for. Regarding the neck, would you leave the material size ( length x width) which Alex has indicated? If I would increase or decrease would it matter? I’m assuming I would need to re-center vectors in material. Also, I noticed the front of the neck material thickness is .810” but the back material thickness in 1.0035. Do you know why this would be?

Thank again for your help!

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Jim_in_PA »

You can change the actual material dimension with no issue (length/width) , but it's not really necessary as long as the stock you use is at least that size and you properly center both to the same center reference point. That's why I recommended the locator pins on the centerline so you can flip things over. As long as the center point on the model stays in the same place for both, you'll be fine.

I don't recall the material being different thickness on the files I received. Both were 20.74mm thick. (or whatever the Imperial equivalent is...I work in metric most of the time) If you got files where the top of the neck "includes" the fretboard, you're going to have to manually calculate the difference with the fretboard removed. My files are the 1962 Telecaster version, but for the P-Bass files, he had the fretboard included in the neck top file and I had to do some faddling with math. Based on the dimensions you mention, it does seem the case that the files you have may have the fretboard integral as the Fender specification for final fretboard thickness (when cut separately) is just under 5mm. (about .2 inch)

One other note...the files you have likely are setup to measure from top of material. If that's what you use on your CNC machine, no problem. I have to be sure to remember to switch them to measure off the machine top for my particular setup because I have automatic tool measuring. If I forget to make that change if I open the original file, the result is, um...not pleasant. :) Whenever you obtain files from someone else, check out the defaults for material size and measuring point carefully to be sure it's appropriate for how you work.

Cncmachine2

Post by Cncmachine2 »

My plans are for the Tele 62. The neck is without the fretboard but material thickness is different between neck front file and neck back file. I will need to rotate the material and vectors 90 degrees because my Y axis will not cut the length of the neck. Only my X axis has the travel length... so I’m concerned about front and back being centered properly. Thanks again.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Jim_in_PA »

If you rotate them identically and keep things lined up on center, you should be fine. Not sure why your file has different thicknesses for front an back if the fretboard file is separate. I don't remember that being the case here and I've "doctored" the files a lot since receiving them. I have them both at 20.74mm (.817 inches) as previously mentioned.

Cncmachine2

Post by Cncmachine2 »

I’m converting mm to inches and changing material orientation of X and Y axis. The issue I am experiencing ,the back of neck and the front of neck do not center the same. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you !

Cncmachine2

Post by Cncmachine2 »

Let me clarify. I’m using the automatic center feature with centering in material. I can go in manually and move vectors to center in material with registration lines.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Jim_in_PA »

I've had weird things happen with "auto centering" and pretty much don't use that. I didn't do any re-centering of the original models I received, but I did change the material sizes to accommodate my needs. To cut two sided, the reverse must be at the same center point. The good news is that when you're carving the back of the neck, that's pretty much the only thing you need to do and it's still going to be hand finished. So as long as you can keep things on the center line and start the 3D Rough and 3D finish cuts so they mate properly at the transition to the headstock, you'll be fine. You don't need to duplicate the profile cutout on the second side, either. I cut everything from the top first and the only thing that gets cut on the back side is the neck profile between the heal and the headstock.

BTW, Alex is very responsive...if there's something wonky in your files, don't hesitate to email him. He's pretty good about getting back in a very reasonable time frame. (He's in South American)

Cncmachine2

Post by Cncmachine2 »

Jim- Working with Alex regarding the material size difference between front of neck and back.He responded with this “ It is because the front neck with not have fingerboard glued and the back neck has 1.024 thickness because when you will do that the fingerboard will already glued.If not you can adjust the height to -0.2079 or just tool paths “ I believe you can adjust in the component properties area but I’m not sure how this works. Can you please shed a little light on this for me? Thank you.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Apparently, he's assuming that one will put in the truss rod and glue on the fretboard before cutting the back. I don't do it that way which is why the material thickness is the same in both files in the distribution I got from him. (which is strange since it sounds like we both acquired the same '62 version) So you can either choose to add the truss rod and fingerboard before flipping or change the thickness of the backside file to match the front side. Either one will work. I personally wouldn't do the back with the fretboard on unless I planned to radius it manually because that's the only way to have a flat surface if one glues it on before flipping to cut the back. IMHO...others may disagree. The P-Bass files I got from Alex were setup with the assumption of the fretboard being installed before flipping, however, but I "did the math" to just do the neck and created the fretboard as a separate file.

The bottom line...just base the thickness dimension on how you plan on assembling things. If you choose to flip with fretboard glued, then leave things as is. If you choose to cut like I do with the fretboard handled separately, reduce the thickness on the back side file to match the front side.

Please ignore the odd- headstock in these photos...I was experimenting.

Cncmachine2

Post by Cncmachine2 »

Excellent photos and the finished product is awesome! Nice work.
I changed some inputs in the Component Properties, Shape height to match Neck front, Base height to match as well (Screenshot attached) . Does this appear correct to you? or is there something I am missing.
Attachments
TeleNeckback1.jpg

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Jim_in_PA »

You shouldn't have to do anything with the shape height other than making sure it's positioned in the right spot in the material after you've changed the material thickness...the setup screen in Toolpaths area of the software. if you alter the thickness of the model, you'll change the contours which will negatively affect how it feels to play.