Pocket project on 3D or not?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Pocket project on 3D or not?

Post by Aussie »

Hi All,

I have the lid for a box and I am using walnut for the base of the lid and canarywood for the 3D moon.
I wish to inlay a 3D model of a wolf, question is when cutting the pocket for the wolf do I select project on to 3D in the pocket toolpath or not ?

Thanks
Ron
Attachments
Capture.jpg
Ron
Crafers Crafts

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: Pocket project on 3D or not?

Post by dealguy11 »

No. If you project the pocket on the 3d model, the bottom of the pocket will not be smooth, so you will have difficulty gluing in the inlay.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Post by Aussie »

dealguy11 wrote:No. If you project the pocket on the 3d model, the bottom of the pocket will not be smooth, so you will have difficulty gluing in the inlay.
Thank you
Will try this on the weekend and see how it goes.
Ron
Crafers Crafts

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

This may take a bit of playing about with or hand finishing once cut depending on the high & low points of each model. I would probably cut the wolf model first as I generally do with all inlays, it's easier to alter the size of the female pocket if the parts don't fit tgether first time because you can just check the fit with the part still on the machine & make alterations to suit. Cut the felame first & then you are down to trying to bench fit the parts :lol: :lol:
As well as the actual size of the pocket you may have to play around a bit with the depth of the pocket a bit to ensure the best look, also easier done by altering the depth of the female pocket. Look forward to seeing the finished project :lol: :lol:

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

If you do a bit of figuring you can cut the pocket and install the inlay BEFORE you do the 3D cutting. Some simple sketches help with that.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

CharlieP
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Saimsmart CNC

Post by CharlieP »

You may wish to consider this example project to setup your material before cutting your 3D Toolpaths.

https://www.vectric.com/vectric-communi ... =1&items=0

If you create your Inlay material and then 3D Carve it afterwards as TReischl mentions, this might give you the result you are looking for and keep the inlaying process more simple overall.