text measurements

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
berrows@comcast.net
Model of CNC Machine: probotix fireball 90

text measurements

Post by berrows@comcast.net »

Haven't been on in a while, finally figured out most of my problems. Here's a new one. I notice that when doing inlays, in draw text you can put in a text HEIGHT but how can you make the text thicker if you want? The tutorials say nothing on this that I can find. Some times you may want to exaggerate your text for effect but how, or does it just automatically do that with no other wanted adjustments given and your stuck with what it gives you...Doug...thanks for any and all info.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: text measurements

Post by FixitMike »

Click on the Bold option box.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

berrows@comcast.net

Hi Mike and thanks for your FYI. I do know about clicking on the bold however, that really doesn't do what I'm looking for. I went back and found that if I use "Transform mode" for some tweeking and then go to the Distortion tool I can basically distort the text along with some node editing pulling here and there. I guess that's how you do it because I see nothing else to tell me otherwise. So thanks Mike and good cutting...Doug

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

There are lots of different ways of doing it but it all depends on the look you're going for. You can use the transform mode, offset tool, boundary create, node edit etc.

berrows@comcast.net

Thanks Adrian for your FYI. I can tell you that, I do use most anything that can be manipulated to distort the text or image, just don't see how the offset would do that, but thanks anyhow. That would be a great tool for Vectric to put together for there software, especially when time might be crucial for you and customers, easy-peezy works well. Thanks again...Doug

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I dunno, I have made text thicker using the offset tool quite a few times ::::shrug:::::
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

berrows@comcast.net

Hi Treischi, I didn't try to sound negative to your post and I apologize if I did. I got very busy and wasn't able to chat at you. So I would like it if you would tell me how you can make a letter any letter thicker or (exaggerated) to get a certain effect. I have tried using the node edit tool but when I click on one of the many nodes on that letter, It usually looks very pointed and then I,m in trouble trying to pull the other nodes and of course it is nothing that your looking for, it may come down to technique so I would appreciate any info you can share...thanks...Doug

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Select the text, click the offset tool, enter your desired measurement and check the "create sharp offset" box. Optionally you can check the other two if you want.

Click offset and you have larger text. Most likely the text will now be overlapping unless you went for a small offset. To counteract that you can use the kerning tool (Edit Text Spacing and Curve) to put some space between the letters before offseting or convert the text to curves and manually space it out.

Once you've got the letters "chunky" enough for your tastes you can then use the Size tool to set the letters to be the exact height you need.

It's something I do multiple times a day especially this time of year when I'm doing so much lettering for weddings.

berrows@comcast.net

Hi Adrian, thanks for your info and hopefully I can understand on how to use this. I have never used any offsets so I'll have to work at this to be sure. If I can get this once or twice I'm good to go. I just keep thinking that there has to be an easy way to do this. Cut2d has so many tools that I haven't begun to use yet after a year and a half and that's probably why I get a bit frustrated when trying to do something that to me should be easy but just haven't used those certain processes. Thanks again and I'll let you know if I do this right...Doug