Sandblast Pebble Texture

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
michaeld13
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Sandblast Pebble Texture

Post by michaeld13 »

Wondering if anyone has had luck machining a look like this? I read some about machining and then blasting a little to get this look- but I'd rather not blast at all. I have not found any ready-made 3-d files that emulate this look. I tried using the texture tool in Vcarve-pro- and nothing seemed quite right and the times were quite high with that. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Attachments
pebble finish
pebble finish

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Sandblast Pebble Texture

Post by garylmast »

Google Sandblast picture the save image to desktop or whatever folder you want. Under Modeling tools, create component from bitmap. Once created, you can adjust the size, then under component properties (crescent wrench), adjust the thickness to where you want it. Using a smaller Ball mill should give you the finish you want.

Gary
Attachments
sandblast.jpg

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

VCarve Gary....we can't create components:(
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I didn't know V-Carve couldn't make a component from a bitmap. Here's one I did in Aspire which took about a minute. Hopefully it will work.

Gary
Attachments
sand Texture.zip
(952.46 KiB) Downloaded 260 times

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

We CAN import .stl's :) :)
Hopefully Michael can use it....I know I stuck it in my library:)
Thanks Gary!!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

michaeld13

Post by michaeld13 »

Thank you for your replies and assistance. That was very nice of you to do that for me. I am definitely new to anything 3-d related- but I did bring in the file and took a closer look and I think it would finish out like the attached image- which is not really ideal because it looks too computer generated/polygon looking. Maybe I'm doing something wrong- or maybe a different file is still needed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
zoomed-pebble.PNG

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

the attached image- which is not really ideal because it looks too computer generated/polygon looking
The problem why it's too polygon looking is I had to reduce the size of file in order to upload it, so I decimated the file by 80% (reduced the polygons). Also by stretching it may of done the same thing. You may look online for sand texture 3D models. Here's a free one from a quick search. https://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Textu ... /free/sand

Also check out the tutorials on textures and tiling: https://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V ... ideo_id=13 and https://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V ... ideo_id=33

Gary

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

John
Maker of Chips

michaeld13

Post by michaeld13 »

Wow, thank you. That might work. How very nice of you all! So nice to see!! I'm messing around with it now and try to tile it as a pattern. Not having luck yet- but will keep trying for a bit and report back. But thanks again- once it's working I'll cut a piece and post the result. Thank you!

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Overlap the tiles a little bit and set the combine mode to merge.
John
Maker of Chips

michaeld13

Post by michaeld13 »

Hmm. I've never used these before- but this one worked. I did a video showing my problem- that I was going to post but it was too large I guess (~12mb)- but your post about combine mode/merge- I think I got it! And this looks like it will work. I'll toy around with it some and post a sample cut for you to see. Thanks again. You've gotten me so much further along had I not asked you all. Thank you for saving me so much valuable time and sharing! It's greatly appreciated!
Attachments
merge.PNG
test.PNG

michaeld13

Post by michaeld13 »

Well it came out great! But it took 1:30min to do 6" x 7" piece. I'll post my settings- I'm sure I could increase the step over some- but the Machining time calc in vectic showed 30 minutes originally with a scale factor of 2. In actual time, the scale factor should have been 6 to calculate accurately for 1:30min. If anyone has any parting advice on speeding up this time, I'm all ears. Thanks again all!
Attachments
BALL-NOSE-SET.PNG
TEXTURE-TEST.jpg

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

michaeld13 wrote:Well it came out great! But it took 1:30min to do 6" x 7" piece. I'll post my settings- I'm sure I could increase the step over some- but the Machining time calc in vectic showed 30 minutes originally with a scale factor of 2. In actual time, the scale factor should have been 6 to calculate accurately for 1:30min. If anyone has any parting advice on speeding up this time, I'm all ears. Thanks again all!

I'll try to suggest some since I am going through a few myself. First, I assume your 1:30 is hour not minutes. On my machine and calc within vcarve, my cut time is usually always half of what vcarve calculates. So I am not sure about your machine and setup. You also didn't say (or maybe I missed it) which tool you are using for the rough and the finish. My first suggestion would be to use a larger tool for the rough. If you are using a 1/8", try it with a 1/4" end mill. Same with the finish. Although a 1/16" ball nose does a better and more finished surface, perhaps the 1/8" ball nose would NOT be so bad if it cuts the finish time in half or more. Those are my only simple suggestions. I am sure others will give more higher level tips... good luck!

Also, I don't consider a 1 hour or more finish time so bad. Since the tool cut is so small, I don't need to stand hovering and cleaning up debris as much on a 1/4" EM cut. I don't have a spindle shoe because I am adamant to watch what my job is doing. I live out in the country and unfortunately I get power surges/purges occasionally which my Chinese machine doesn't like and because it is touchy on the frequencies, it could throw off my settings. I have several ground running outside to the ground, so I can't think of anything else to help it. I also have a heavy duty UPS with built in power p/surge protection although it doesn't seem to help. It is usually when a storm is passing through. I try to make a habit to pause and shutdown until it passes. I tell the power company folks and I get the deer in the headlight reply... sorry to ramble..
Last edited by ezurick on Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaeld13

Post by michaeld13 »

Thank you! I was using 1/8 for the whole thing. I wasn't cutting down much at all so I didn't think a rough cut was necessary. I guess I did not think it would speed things up? I need to check that. Thank you!

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

michaeld13 wrote:Thank you! I was using 1/8 for the whole thing. I wasn't cutting down much at all so I didn't think a rough cut was necessary. I guess I did not think it would speed things up? I need to check that. Thank you!
Rough cut would add more time of course. 1/8" finish cut for over an hour is not really that bad. Again, since the cut is small, the debris is small. On something like that, I tend to other things in my shop and just occasionally check on the status and remove the debris here and there. Some things are just worth the wait time. :D