Little advice update

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cncrouterparts CPR2448

Little advice update

Post by Makingtoothpicks »

I painted the sign. Now I need to finish it and do some touch up painting.
This is the first time I used Oramask. It did a great job of masking and sticking.
It separated some very thin places. I only need to touch up a couple of small spots.
The 2 color scheme looks good. I think I need to do a very light sanding to
remove some very small pieces of masking. Here is a picture showing where
I am at now.

Don
Attachments
Theold Sign.jpg

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Little advice update

Post by martin54 »

Don I am still trying to work out what way works best for me with signs like this, last one I did was without any masking at all & seemed to come out OK.
If I was using a mask I wouldn't be happy with those results, looks to me from your pictures that you still have quite a bit of work to do.

Can you detail your process from start to finish.

How are you sealing the wood, what paint you are using, how you apply the mask etc etc. How mant times you ran the toolpath.

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cncrouterparts CPR2448

Post by Makingtoothpicks »

martin54 wrote:Don I am still trying to work out what way works best for me with signs like this, last one I did was without any masking at all & seemed to come out OK.
If I was using a mask I wouldn't be happy with those results, looks to me from your pictures that you still have quite a bit of work to do.

Can you detail your process from start to finish.

How are you sealing the wood, what paint you are using, how you apply the mask etc etc. How meant times you ran the toolpath.
There was almost need clean up needed. The 2 spots that did need touch up was probably me.
I sanded wood , sealed with 2 coats of Zinner Sealcoat , sanded again and applied mask.used
a hard rubber roller to set the mask. After cutting I re sealed with Sealcoat and painted.
No special paint water based interior.

Don

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Maybe its just the way the light is catching it, looked to me like there were a few areas that needed some looking at.

I thought this was to go outside, if it is then try to keep it out of direct sunlight, the colour will probably fade very quickly if outside in direct sunlight as most interior paints don't have enough pigment to keep the colour in direct sunlight.

I generally run the toolpath twice, I find that if I do that there is next to no cleaning up required before painting, I do give it a quick clean with a stiff(ish) toolbrush to make sure there are no loose bits :lol: :lol:
painting generally depends on how deep the carving is, I have found with deep(ish) carvings it is quite difficult to ensure a good even coverage with rattle cans so tend to use a small brush to paint :lol: :lol:

Still working on the finish coats, have tried a marine varnish & multiple coats which looked OK, also tried epoxy resin coating & then marine varnish over the top as was told that would last longer :lol: :lol: :lol: