Very slow graphics response

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Very slow graphics response

Post by mtylerfl »

I’m sure you’ve discovered a “speed increase” after deleting all those Zero Length Spans.

Was just thinking if I received vectors with so many issues from a client, what would I do? I would certainly inform them of the issues right away. Then ask questions:

- What software is being used to create the vectors?

- What DXF format are you sending me? (I want R12 or AutoCAD 2004 DXF format)

- Then ask about the intersections - I can’t formulate an example question without seeing “what’s up” in the vectors you have now. But, I think you will be able to, after close scrutiny of those and the overall design they have given you.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Some DXF files can be a real problem. If a program uses primarily bezier curves (think eps, ai, etc) to do the drawing and then outputs a dxf file, the dxf file typically has gagillions of tiny line segments. This is because the dxf format does not have an entity type of "bezier". That happens no matter what version you tell the program to save it in. An example of a program that does that is Corel. It's native mode is bezier, not lines, arcs and circles. I use Corel for virtually all of my drawing and never export in dxf format for that reason. Here is an example of that with a simple ellipse:
Capture.JPG
It is actually a little messier than I stated above. Corel writes that curve as an ellipse, then Aspire brings it in as a bezier with lots of nodes. Same sort of thing happens with irregular curves, they are output as splines and then converted to bezier form in Aspire.
Last edited by TReischl on Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Catalystracing
Model of CNC Machine: Ascent Pro

Post by Catalystracing »

mtylerfl wrote:Oh boy! Definitely problems there!

Delete All the Zero Length spans, for starters! (By clicking on Fix Zero Length Spans.)

As far as the intersections - I’m afraid you are going to have to zoom in to see what’s going on and make decisions how to correct them.

Too bad someone with more experience can’t inspect them for you.

Without us seeing the file, it’s impossible to say what the best course of action is. Could be that the intersections are caused by certain vectors that need to be placed on separate layers to avoid the intersections - but, it will be up to you now to figure all that out.
I did repair the Zero length spans, but I cannot change the intersections, they are part of the designs. It has a massive amount of open vectors which terminate on a boundary vector. Basically a hull sheet (2.0m x 1.0m) of a puzzle pattern, a section below to give a hint of what im working with.

Vector validator 2.jpg

Catalystracing

Post by Catalystracing »

TReischl wrote:Some DXF files can be a real problem. If a program uses primarily bezier curves (think eps, ai, etc) to do the drawing and then outputs a dxf file, the dxf file typically has gagillions of tiny line segments. This is because the dxf format does not have an entity type of "bezier". That happens no matter what version you tell the program to save it in. An example of a program that does that is Corel. It's native mode is bezier, not lines, arcs and circles. I use Corel for virtually all of my drawing and never export in dxf format for that reason. Here is an example of that with a simple ellipse:
The attachment Capture.JPG is no longer available
It is actually a little messier than I stated above. Corel writes that curve as an ellipse, then Aspire brings it in as a bezier with lots of nodes. Same sort of thing happens with irregular curves, they are output as splines and then converted to bezier form in Aspire.
This looks like the issue, my whole design is made up of nodes.
Nodes.jpg

Catalystracing

Post by Catalystracing »

I have copied a sample of the file, this wont give away the overall design, but will give you glimpse of what Im working with.
Sample for post.crv
(204 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I assume you were going to cut these parts using a profile ON the vector. If you are cutting these with a router bit the problem that you will run into is that the parts won't fit nicely together. There will be gaps between the pieces.
JigSawGaps.PNG

There was a nice demonstration at the 2018 User's Group where they demonstrated a process to create jigsaw pieces that could be cut on a CNC machine and then fit nicely together.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Run it through Curve Fit Vectors in the Edit menu.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Catalystracing

Post by Catalystracing »

Rcnewcomb wrote:I assume you were going to cut these parts using a profile ON the vector. If you are cutting these with a router bit the problem that you will run into is that the parts won't fit nicely together. There will be gaps between the pieces.
The attachment JigSawGaps.PNG is no longer available

There was a nice demonstration at the 2018 User's Group where they demonstrated a process to create jigsaw pieces that could be cut on a CNC machine and then fit nicely together.
For this one we will use a dual colour layered 6mm EV foam sheet.
The pattern is engraved 4mm deep to show the second layer under the top. We will cut on line as you mentioned, this will be run in both directions (Climb and Conventional) The outer profile is cut through with a drag knife.

Sorry, should have been clearer.
Cheers.
Sample for post.jpg

Catalystracing

Post by Catalystracing »

TReischl wrote:Run it through Curve Fit Vectors in the Edit menu.
This made a massive difference, I can now work with our most complicated file with little lag.

Many Thanks. :mrgreen:

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

Catalystracing wrote:
TReischl wrote:Some DXF files can be a real problem. If a program uses primarily bezier curves (think eps, ai, etc) to do the drawing and then outputs a dxf file, the dxf file typically has gagillions of tiny line segments. This is because the dxf format does not have an entity type of "bezier". That happens no matter what version you tell the program to save it in. An example of a program that does that is Corel. It's native mode is bezier, not lines, arcs and circles. I use Corel for virtually all of my drawing and never export in dxf format for that reason. Here is an example of that with a simple ellipse:
Capture.JPG
This looks like the issue, my whole design is made up of nodes.
Nodes.jpg

The fit curve to vectors tool will remove all those unnecessary nodes.

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

If I were attacking this job I would join the horizontal vectors and alternate the start point from top to bottom. Likewise I would join the verticals and again alternate the start point. When toolpathing either use vector selection order and check use vector start points don't optimize. This will help to reduce cnc movement to a minimum.