Letter Engraving Problem

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Letter Engraving Problem

Post by TReischl »

That FAQ Randy posted is really helpful.

When I first started v carving things I thought that the smaller angle bits would produce better looking carvings. The problem is that they carve really deep on larger lettering and even if the material is thick enough they do not look good IMHO. I never thought I would cut anything with a 120 degree bit, thought it would be too shallow, blah, blah. Not so, it seems to me that the larger the lettering the shallower the bit needs to be.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

chip clark wrote:As for zeroing the Z - I've been using the touch-down puck, sitting on the work surface, in the left home corner.
You may also want to check the thickness of your puck. Check 'C.A.D. Thickness: Thickness of tool touch-off puck. Z-axis movement is established by the software file, but can be changed here manually; Default is 25.000mm.' in the MACHINE SETUP section of your handheld controller. It is measured and entered in mm. Mine was off quite a bit. Well worth the time it takes to check with a digital caliper. If you don't have one, you can get a reasonable one at Harbor Frieght, Amazon, etc. for $25 or less. You can also use it to measure wood thickness, but measure in several places.

chip clark
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 Pro+

Post by chip clark »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
However, in my still limited knowledge, my concern is if I'm doing much larger lettering without the flat-depth box checked, I'm assuming that depending on the bit the machine is going to go to whatever depth is necessary to cut to the line width of the letter...? is there a way to limit the depth?
FAQ: How can I adjust the depth of my v-carving when it is too deep or too shallow?
thank you!

chip clark

Post by chip clark »

gkas wrote:
chip clark wrote:As for zeroing the Z - I've been using the touch-down puck, sitting on the work surface, in the left home corner.
You may also want to check the thickness of your puck. Check 'C.A.D. Thickness: Thickness of tool touch-off puck. Z-axis movement is established by the software file, but can be changed here manually; Default is 25.000mm.' in the MACHINE SETUP section of your handheld controller. It is measured and entered in mm. Mine was off quite a bit. Well worth the time it takes to check with a digital caliper. If you don't have one, you can get a reasonable one at Harbor Frieght, Amazon, etc. for $25 or less. You can also use it to measure wood thickness, but measure in several places.
Thanks, I will do that!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Got to admit I'm confused how unchecking the flat depth solved the original problem. The problem was that the bit stopped 1/8" over the top of the material unless the OP meant to say it was only cutting 1/8" deep.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Adrian wrote:Got to admit I'm confused how unchecking the flat depth solved the original problem. The problem was that the bit stopped 1/8" over the top of the material unless the OP meant to say it was only cutting 1/8" deep.
Yup. What I think happens is that several things are changed at once and then it is a multiple choice as to which one actually solved the issue.

chip clark

Post by chip clark »

Adrian wrote:Got to admit I'm confused how unchecking the flat depth solved the original problem. The problem was that the bit stopped 1/8" over the top of the material unless the OP meant to say it was only cutting 1/8" deep.
You're right, it doesn't make sense. As far as I can recall all I did was uncheck the flat-depth box. However, being a newbie, maybe I did try some other change that I just don't remember. I do appreciate everyone's help!

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

chip clark wrote:
You're right, it doesn't make sense. As far as I can recall all I did was uncheck the flat-depth box. However, being a newbie, maybe I did try some other change that I just don't remember. I do appreciate everyone's help!
Probably something simple like telling yourself "I am going to re zero this just to make sure. . . ."

I have learned the hard way that when I have a problem I need to be very very methodical and do one thing at a time. Takes more time but usually I end up understanding what went wrong and how to avoid it in the future.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

TReischl wrote:That FAQ Randy posted is really helpful.

When I first started v carving things I thought that the smaller angle bits would produce better looking carvings. The problem is that they carve really deep on larger lettering and even if the material is thick enough they do not look good IMHO. I never thought I would cut anything with a 120 degree bit, thought it would be too shallow, blah, blah. Not so, it seems to me that the larger the lettering the shallower the bit needs to be.
I would partly agree with that Ted but I think there is probably more to it than that :lol: :lol:

My own view is that it depends on the overal project, the font you are using & the look you are after, a combination of those will determine what is best. Like you though I often feel that the lettering isbeing cut to deep so switch to a wider angled v bit, largeth I have is 150 degree which hasn't been used much & I only bought it because it wasvastly reduced at the time in an end of line sale. :lol: :lol:

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

martin54 wrote:
TReischl wrote:That FAQ Randy posted is really helpful.

I would partly agree with that Ted but I think there is probably more to it than that :lol: :lol:

My own view is that it depends on the overal project, the font you are using & the look you are after, a combination of those will determine what is best. Like you though I often feel that the lettering isbeing cut to deep so switch to a wider angled v bit, largeth I have is 150 degree which hasn't been used much & I only bought it because it wasvastly reduced at the time in an end of line sale. :lol: :lol:
I will defer to you Martin. You make a lot more signs than I ever thought of making! I guess what strikes me is that with a really steep bit a person might as well just pocket the letters out.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Check out these Youtube Video it may help answer some of the questions or may solve a problem you may be having!

Good Luck!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554