Need Help: Lack of detail in V-Carve Desktop carving

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
firstshot425
Model of CNC Machine: Will be custom built by me

Re: Need Help: Lack of detail in V-Carve Desktop carving

Post by firstshot425 »

TReischl wrote:
firstshot425 wrote:Ted or anyone else.

Have you tried the +painting tape + super glue" hold down method? Here is the link to YouTube link where Fast Cap 2P10 glue and activator is used.
Nope, and probably never will either. Edit: I just reread what I posted. Sound pretty negative. Sorry about that!

No prob at all!!! I actually prefer someone telling it like it is. Saves a lot of time and potential missunderstanding!! :-)

firstshot425

Post by firstshot425 »

martin54 wrote:There are people on the forum who use that method & those that use a double sided tape, I have a range of different hold down methods & use what ever method I feel is most suitable for the job I am doing.
If you are not surfacing the underside of the board then this method may not be suitable, the tape/superglue combination is pretty thin so you could end up with a lot of ereas with absolutely no hold down.

Also, there are no areas are NO black areas where there hasn't been any carving done at all. Everything with black has been cut.

If you look at your final picture there is a very large part of it that looking at the Toolpath preview should not have been cut yet seems to be very black :lol: :lol:
The area above the bike according to the preview is not cut at all.
InkedVCarve Actual Cut_LI.jpg

No Prob whatsoever! I actually prefer someone cutting through the chase and telling it like it is. Saves a lot of time and potential missunderstanding!!!!

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

No it doesn't help when pictures are from different files :lol: :lol:

I still think finishing could be a big part of the problem but there may be something else contributing that I don't think has been mentioned yet, those vectors are very close together which means that a lot of it is very thin, it is possible that parts have been broken as it machines, to help reduce that then a coat of sealer before the carve helps as Ted has mentioned, cut it as he has also said so it is absorbed deeper into the material. Don't know what feed rate you have used but also slowing the feed rate can help. A 30 degree bit should certainly also help, I take it you have used a v bit & not an engraving bit entered as a v bit :lol: :lol:

firstshot425

Post by firstshot425 »

martin54 wrote:No it doesn't help when pictures are from different files :lol: :lol:

I still think finishing could be a big part of the problem but there may be something else contributing that I don't think has been mentioned yet, those vectors are very close together which means that a lot of it is very thin, it is possible that parts have been broken as it machines, to help reduce that then a coat of sealer before the carve helps as Ted has mentioned, cut it as he has also said so it is absorbed deeper into the material. Don't know what feed rate you have used but also slowing the feed rate can help. A 30 degree bit should certainly also help, I take it you have used a v bit & not an engraving bit entered as a v bit :lol: :lol:

Hey Martin. Yes, I use an actual VBit. 60 degree x 1/2". I'm hoping that a 30 degree VBit will help.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

VBits are not the end all-be all to engraving.

There are actual engraving bits! Though some of them are a bit prone to breakage unless used with extreme care. The good news is that you can experiment with them because there are cheap ones sold on eBay for less than $10 for a package of 10 in a variety of sizes. You will need a 1/8 collet though.

There are also tapered ball noses that are tiny, like .25mm tip radius. Those are pretty tough and are also really cheap.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

firstshot425

Post by firstshot425 »

Getting Better. Switched to a new 30 degree VBit and as you can see, I got much better detail.

Thanks to you all for your advice and suggestions. I'm still in the process of testing the actual angles of my various VBits and I did seal the cut areas
before adding the paint. Will be trying some engraving bits next and will also slow the feed rate down a bit.

Thanks again!

Doug
Attachments
Harley 10 X 14 Maple Wood Carving.jpg

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

MUCH better Doug:)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Hey! There ya go! Looks good.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns