Thumbnails in Explorer with OneDrive?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Thumbnails in Explorer with OneDrive?

Post by TReischl »

OK, I did my best but it is obviously not good enough.

My computers have OneDrive installed.

When viewing the OneDrive folder in Explorer the models do not appear as thumbnails. Yes, I have the view selected to large thumbnails.

Sooo, I made sure that I ran Shell Extensions. Which was sort of stupid because the models do appear as thumbnails in folders that are not part of OneDrive.

Then it gets more confusing. Start Aspire and sure enough the clipart browser shows the thumbnails. Also, if I select open file and look at a folder with .crv3d files it shows the thumbnail no problem.

So, in other words, the ONLY place I cannot see the thumbnails is in Explorer itself. ShellExtensions is working because it will show the thumbnail in any folder but those located in OneDrive.

Any suggestions? This is obviously above my pay grade. . . . . .
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Thumbnails in Explorer with OneDrive?

Post by adze_cnc »

Ted,

I’d expect things not displaying in OneDrive as the OneDrive program is doing weird stuff to link the physical folder with the cloud-based one.

Perhaps this might work: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/onedrive ... windows-10 although it does seem to be leaning towards getting image thumbnails displaying.

Steven

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Thanks Steve, I checked it out. No help. Everything but models show icons, jpg files, bmp, even .cdr files.

Might be something I just have to live with for a while.

The only reason I want to see them in Explorer is because that is where I manage them. What I may do is create a mirror of them on the physical drive outside of the OneDrive folder (they show in that type of folder), get them arranged the way I want and then connect them up to OneDrive. :::::sigh:::::

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I have the same issue. It was discussed a while ago on the forum with no solution. They show fine as thumbnails in the Clipart tab (which fortunately is what I use 99% of the time) but not in Windows folders.

I've raised it with Vectric to see if there is anything that can be done.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Thanks Adrian. I must have missed that post. Well, as long as I know it is not just the way I am set up. . . .that is good, sorta, LOL.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Further word:

OneDrive has been downloading to my shop computer. This computer is a Win7 machine and interestingly enough the thumbnails appear in Explorer. Sooo, that means there is a probably a disconnect between ShellExtensions and Windows 10.

This is good news for me because I do most of my organizing out here in the shop.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

To display an icon or picture in windows the information or thumbnail has to be included in the file itself. That means that the originating program has to include it when the file is created. It takes extra programming and some software manufacturers "go the extra mile" and include it and some don't. Pictures like .jpeg, .bmp, etc usually have the info included. My guess is that Vectric only includes internal info for its own programs.
Steve

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

That's not the issue as the thumbnails display fine in normal folders just not in folders that are OneDrive linked and for some people they even display in those.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Adrian wrote:That's not the issue as the thumbnails display fine in normal folders just not in folders that are OneDrive linked and for some people they even display in those.
Yup. That is what I was saying in my last post. They appear just fine in the OneDrive folder on my Win 7 machine. So obviously Vectric has included the necessary programming.

StuC
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC

Post by StuC »

Hi,

Just adding a little bit of extra info here. The problem here is that in Windows 10 (following the Fall Creators update last year) Microsoft added the "Files-on-Demand" option to OneDrive and this is set on by default. With this mode the previews for the folder view are actually being generated from the OneDrive service which supports a relatively small amount of commonly used formats. This means any programs not directly supported by the OneDrive service (so those which also have thumbnails display correctly when just viewing via the web) will not display their previews correctly.

As mentioned in a link in a previous post in this thread if the "Files-On-Demand" option is disabled and the files are stored locally then the thumbnails should display correctly (once they have had time to download if necessary and the thumbnail cache to refresh). As this feature is not in Windows 7 this is why you can see the previews correctly on that machine.

Example with "Files-on-demand" active:
OnDemand.PNG
Example with this disabled:
Local.PNG
Local.PNG (14.39 KiB) Viewed 2741 times

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Thanks for that info StuC. That bit of information helped solve the issue nicely.

On my settings for OneDrive it is not called Files On Demand but is now something like "Let me use OneDrive to fetch any of my files on this PC". I do not need to fetch 3d models back and forth so that works great.

This is quite an improvement! Just wish the Microsoft folks quit trying to make everything look like a 4th grader can use it.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I had most of my OneDrive folders set to be stored locally anyway but I did change that setting to see what would happen. It didn't download any files into those folders (it did into the others that weren't set for local storage) but thumbnails for other programs are now appearing in those folders. Still no joy with the Vectric thumbnails though so it may be something up with my setup. I'll investigate further.

StuC
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC

Post by StuC »

TReischl wrote:On my settings for OneDrive it is not called Files On Demand but is now something like "Let me use OneDrive to fetch any of my files on this PC". I do not need to fetch 3d models back and forth so that works great.
It is possible we might be using slightly different versions of OneDrive, but "Let me use OneDrive to fetch any of my files on this PC" is a different option to the "Save space and download files as you need them" option within the Files On-Demand section for my OneDrive. I marked them both on the settings below, for me "Let me use OneDrive to fetch an of my files on this PC" was already disabled and it was switching the "Save space and download files as you need them" option that allowed the thumbnails to show for me. So maybe there are a couple of options that could mess the thumbnails up depending on the version of OneDrive which is running.
OneDrive_opts.PNG

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Yup StuC, there seem to be some differences, this is what I see in that dialog:
Capture.JPG