roughing issue?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
epicycloid
Model of CNC Machine: Custom router with Dynomotion KFLOP

roughing issue?

Post by epicycloid »

I am still a rank beginner with Aspire, but making headway.

I ran into an issue I don't understand today working with tileable textures. I'm trying to create a faux frame, a 2" border around a cabinet door panel, and have the tileable texture fill the area inside the "frame" as a recessed pattern.

I laid out a pattern, and created a finishing toolpath with a 1/16" ball end mill. Everything looked good. Then I decided to go back and add a roughing toolpath to clear away some of the material before the finishing toolpath, giving the small ball end mill a breather. I selected a 1/4" end mill for the roughing.

The problem is that the roughing toolpath "chewed" notches out into the faux frame area. Two images are attached showing how the roughing toolpath chewed into the frame, while the finishing toolpath left it intact.

Am I missing some setting to keep the roughing toolpath in bounds?

Thanks for any hints and help.
Attachments
Image with roughing toolpath added
Image with roughing toolpath added
Image showing finishing toolpath alone
Image showing finishing toolpath alone

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: roughing issue?

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Am I missing some setting to keep the roughing toolpath in bounds?
The roughing toolpath will move the CENTER of the roughing bit to the vector boundary
The Help text reads:
The center of the tool will go to the edge of the specified boundary.
The finishing toolpath will move the EDGE of the finishing bit to the vector boundary

Either offset inward for the roughing pass, or offset outward for the finishing pass.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

epicycloid
Model of CNC Machine: Custom router with Dynomotion KFLOP

Re: roughing issue?

Post by epicycloid »

Wow, thank you. That's pretty subtle and I clearly overlooked the difference between the two toolpaths. It would have taken me a while to figure that one out.

I can see now that using Boundary Offset can be used to keep the bit inside the X-Y envelope, while Machining Allowance deals with the material left in Z.