vcarve pro 9.5

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mayes
Model of CNC Machine: open builds cnc OX

vcarve pro 9.5

Post by mayes »

Hello! I have vcarve pro 9.5 I have an issue that I need help with. When i draw something and send it my machine to be cut, the size of what i have drawn doubles in size. I am using grbl as my post processor with open builds controller. What are my options to repair this.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: vcarve pro 9.5

Post by 4DThinker »

You've got two choices. 1: Start drawing everything 1/2 the size you want it to be cut out. 2: Look into the machine settings for your controller software. Values for how far X and Y move with each rotation appear to be twice what they should be. I don't use grbl so can't tell you any specifics.

4D

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

It is quite possible that you are designing in mm and the machine is set to receive inches. This is especially likely if the cut is 2.54 X the design size.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Just to clarify it doesn't matter if you design in inches or mm but the post processor you use to save the toolpaths must match what the machine expects. So if the controller software is set to inches then you must use an inches post processor. Some post processors will put code in to switch the control software to the correct units but not all do.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Adrian wrote:Just to clarify it doesn't matter if you design in inches or mm but the post processor you use to save the toolpaths must match what the machine expects. So if the controller software is set to inches then you must use an inches post processor. Some post processors will put code in to switch the control software to the correct units but not all do.
Thanks Adrian. Much clearer than what I said.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Adrian wrote:Just to clarify it doesn't matter if you design in inches or mm but the post processor you use to save the toolpaths must match what the machine expects. So if the controller software is set to inches then you must use an inches post processor. Some post processors will put code in to switch the control software to the correct units but not all do.

I had concerns about this after seeing you and others say this several times. I have a chinese 6040 and I use mach3. My setup instructions for mach3 (which are in chinese) set it to millimeters. But all my vcarve toolpaths PP are mach3 inches. But everything I see in mach3 is inches (or decimals). Very strange. Everything is working fine and I don't want to change anything, but it is strange that mach3 is set to MM, but everything else is inches. I watch the mach3 screen when it finishes and I had set the job to raise the Z to .1 inch. That is what mach3 saying for the Z when it finishes. Rather strange.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

ezurick wrote:

I had concerns about this after seeing you and others say this several times. I have a chinese 6040 and I use mach3. My setup instructions for mach3 (which are in chinese) set it to millimeters. But all my vcarve toolpaths PP are mach3 inches. But everything I see in mach3 is inches (or decimals). Very strange. Everything is working fine and I don't want to change anything, but it is strange that mach3 is set to MM, but everything else is inches. I watch the mach3 screen when it finishes and I had set the job to raise the Z to .1 inch. That is what mach3 saying for the Z when it finishes. Rather strange.
It is not as strange as you think. When configuring Mach 3 it can be done in either inches or mm. When configuring Mach 3 there is a selection called "Select Native Units" and the choice is between inches and mm. But all that is for is setting up the motors and motor tuning. IIRC once that is done then the software does a calculation to output the correct number of steps. If mm is used to set the motors then Mach3 does an internal conversion when it is put in inch mode via gcode. Setting the native units to mm does not mean the machine always runs in metric mode. The mode is determined by program code. Which is probably why all the post processors for Mach have the code in the header, there is no default mode that I have found. Mine is set up in inches so I can run a program without a G20 at the beginning.
Capture.JPG
So I think where the problems start is when someone has a machine set up for a specific unit and then they load a program without a G20/G21 that was posted in the other units. To avoid that is downright simple, look up the g code that controls inch/metric mode and add that code to the beginning of the post for each type of unit.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Thanks for the explanation Ted. Appreciate it.

mayes

cutting vectors incorrectly

Post by mayes »

Hello! I was able to fix my issue of double sizing parts calibrated my machine and is sizing correctly. Thanks for the info.
Now I have trouble with the software i think. Its cutting the letter in the corners but not across the letter.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

We're going to need pictures and ideally the file to be able to help as that's not enough information.

mayes

Post by mayes »

Why are my letters cutting in the corners and not across the letters.
thanks M2
Attachments
V-Carve 4 jordan.crv
(308 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Have you set the XY zero position on the material to the same place it is in the file? You have it set to the centre.

Jozua
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: EZ-Router

Post by Jozua »

Adrian is absolutely correct.
My machine was built in the USA and of course the post processor is setup in Inches.
Me being from South Africa do no know a rat's backside about Inches.
(Is it still a measurement?????)
I design all my projects in mm and my post processor on Mach 3 is inches, all I do is to select the correct "inch processor" for my machine ........ and there you go!
Since 2005 I have never had any problems with the size of a project not being cut correctly.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Jozua wrote:...
Me being from South Africa do no know a rat's backside about Inches.
(Is it still a measurement?????)
Ummm, yes, it is still a measurement. Probably will survive long into the future. One thing the great thinkers forgot to think about is what it is like to read a metric scale when you are older. What a joke.

In general I like the metric system, especially when it comes to tool sizes.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns