Latest Keepsake Box

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Latest Keepsake Box

Post by martin54 »

Think Carveone posted a tray for the paradise box that was like that top one Steve, very easy to draw them up though which is what I had to do as most of my paradise boxes are a different size to Michael Tylers original :lol: :lol:

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

martin54 wrote:Think Carveone posted a tray for the paradise box that was like that top one Steve, very easy to draw them up though which is what I had to do as most of my paradise boxes are a different size to Michael Tylers original :lol: :lol:
That one I made a couple of years ago for the Carvewright system.
Attachments
Tray Carvewright.jpg
Steve

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Post by CarveOne »

That's really odd. I did not see a tray like this before I created mine. I did post the .dxf file here after I made my first one. in any case, I expected anyone else to use it if they liked it.

Very nice work on the raised 3d model carving.

CarveOne
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I looks like we may think alike. I made mine in Oct of 2016 and posted it on the Carvewright forum. I used brass shelf support pins to support the tray but I think the small posts in the corners looks better.

https://forum.carvewright.com/showthrea ... t=Paradise
Steve

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Steve, it appears that my memory is off kilter from doing so much of this stuff. I DID use your layout and added a Vcarved design of my own. At least I gave you credit for your tray design. Here is the original post:

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... ne#p164516

The date on that post is Wed Aug 19, 2015.

CarveOne
CarveOne

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

CarveOne wrote:Steve, it appears that my memory is off kilter from doing so much of this stuff. I DID use your layout and added a Vcarved design of my own. At least I gave you credit for your tray design. Here is the original post:

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... ne#p164516

The date on that post is Wed Aug 19, 2015.

CarveOne
Does it really matter? It doesn't to me anyway. I don"t sell anything I make and I am happy to share my knowledge and projects with anyone and hopefully make some new friends along the way.
Steve

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

That's me also. I don't sell my stuff, and sometimes I do side jobs that don't have any real profit. Gifts and favors mean more to me.

If I don't want something copied, I don't post files and photos of it online. I still lose control of it if someone takes a photo of a gift I made and puts it on their social media anyway. Ideas produce more ideas. It's just the way we are.

CarveOne
CarveOne

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

My wife has a great name for folks who do not like "sharing". She calls them:

"Secret Squirrel"

I am like you guys, I do not mind sharing stuff I have done at all. Like everyone else though I avoid sharing things that are copyright material.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I think the word "copyright" has lost its meaning on social media. For something to be copyrighted it has to be filed with the U.S patent office. That doesn't mean that one can copy someone else's work and sell it for a profit. Or even give it away. However, in absence of an official patent one would have to file a lawsuit and be able to prove he had the idea first and has suffered a monetary loss. Of course, it's just morally wrong but, going through the expense of proving it may be prohibitive.

Then there is the issue of posting it on social media. Some seem to think that "if I say I don't want it copied then it's copyrighted". In my mind, if someone gives their work away on a public website there can be no issue.
Steve

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

SteveNelson46 wrote:I think the word "copyright" has lost its meaning on social media. For something to be copyrighted it has to be filed with the U.S patent office. That doesn't mean that one can copy someone else's work and sell it for a profit. Or even give it away. However, in absence of an official patent one would have to file a lawsuit and be able to prove he had the idea first and has suffered a monetary loss. Of course, it's just morally wrong but, going through the expense of proving it may be prohibitive.

Then there is the issue of posting it on social media. Some seem to think that "if I say I don't want it copied then it's copyrighted". In my mind, if someone gives their work away on a public website there can be no issue.
You have the Patent Office and the Copyright Office a bit confused.

And no, you do not have to prove a monetary loss.

The only time a person has to file a lawsuit is when he has NOT registered an original idea with the Copyright Office. However, a person using the material can file a lawsuit claiming what is known as "prior art".

Merely putting something on line is not the same as putting it in the public domain. On line is no different than putting one's work in a book or magazine. Those are public areas but being in that public area does not give anyone the right to copy material.

I was very involved with copyright issues when I wrote software. It is a complex subject, especially when it comes to issues like 'prior art".

An interesting one was some guy in Virginia had copyrighted the process of using a software program to calculate sheet metal layouts and developments. Those methods have been in books for over a hundred years, but he claimed using a computer to do the calculations was a valid copyright. Incredibly a court upheld his copyright and for years anyone doing that work on a computer screen had to pay him royalties. Essentially enforcing his copyright became his full time job. I know this from first hand experience with him. I had no idea someone had copyrighted how to calculate the intersection of two pipes. His attorney contacted us and sure enough our attorneys said "pay the man his money" after researching the history. And get this, that copyright lasts for 70 years AFTER he dies. Patents only last for about 20 years depending on various things.

Edit: I just did a bit of research and I am pretty sure he has passed away but am not sure if his heirs are pursuing companies these days.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

That box finished out SUPERBLY!!!!
Fine workmanship!!
Congrats!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

My wife has a great name for folks who do not like "sharing". She calls them:

Oh No, I guess I better go out & buy myself a trenchcoat & oversized hat I can cut a couple of eye holes in :lol: :lol: :lol: