Weave affect to Vectors

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Marko74
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Weave affect to Vectors

Post by Marko74 »

I am a Newbe and been plodding through the tutorial videos as well as hands-on in the software. I have been struggling with this project I am currently modeling. This model is a serving tray cut from a blank of 3/4” Maple. There are several toolpaths defined which are working fine:
1. The perimeter of the tray as well as the handle cut-outs.
2. The rounded rectangle which is a simple Pocket
3. The oval shape is a groove modeled as a 2D profile (meant to provide a clean termination of the effect placed within the oval).

I have successfully modeled and cut this serving tray once already while placing a “Swirl” texture within the oval shape.

This tray is different in that instead of the “Swirl” texture, I am trying to cut a “Weave” effect within the oval as illustrated in the tutorial video :Extrude and Weave Guide. And this is the object with which I am having problems: I created a cross section of intersecting lines within the boundary of the oval shape and manipulated those lines by extruding along those lines (vectors) with a simple profile. Furthermore, I used the Weave functionality to create a woven effect for those vectors. I have attached a picture of what the model looks like with the “Weave” selected in 3D view:

I cannot seem to set up an appropriate toolpath to produce the “Weave”. I have tried using the texturing toolpath to no avail. It just cuts a weird texture over the complete screen.

It is confusing to me mostly because the 3D depiction of the “Weave” is not a vector as such. The original lines that I used to create the “Weave” are the only real vectors.

Obviously I need to turn the beautiful "Weave" pattern into appropriate Vectors, then make the necessary Toolpath Operation in order to machine this.

How do I set up a toolpath that will actually cut the “Weave” as depicted in the 3D view? Or perhaps there is a tutorial video that explains this process??
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 4.35.44 PM.png

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Weave affect to Vectors

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Use the celtic weave creator gadget and the extrude weave tool. Then create an oval vector and use the "Clear Area Outside Selected Vector' Tool.

For the toolpath, use a 3D finish toolpath with selected vectors. See pic.
Attachments
Oval Weave.jpg
Oval Weave Toolpath.jpg
Steve

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Obviously I need to turn the beautiful "Weave" pattern into appropriate Vectors, then make the necessary Toolpath Operation in order to machine this.

Once you create the 3D weave it is no longer vectors so you can't use a 2D toolpath to machine it, you need to use the 3D roughing & finishing toolpaths :lol: :lol:
With a shallow weave you probably won't need to use a roughing toolpath just the 3D finish toolpath. :lol: :lol:

Marko74
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by Marko74 »

Thanks for the timely and helpful response. Your directions worked perfectly. I am heading into my shop to start making sawdust. I will gladly post a picture when the tray is finished. Thanks again :D