first pass way too deep

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
shelkol
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3

first pass way too deep

Post by shelkol »

Hi,
I trying to cut a simple bracket out of aluminum. I am using a shapeoko 3 with the carbide motion and a .25" end mill. Since the first pass broke my end mill, I've been trying to go slow :)

The pass depth is set to 0.010. In the simulation it does a fine job. When I make the gcode file and put it on my router, the first pass is 0.250" deep. I zero'd it manually and also used the fancy probe. I made a new file from scratch and it did the same thing. I made other files (simpler) and they behaved as I expected. I am confused> can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks

P.S. Can someone recommend a good gcode reference book? I've programmed in ASM, C and C++ for decades, so would just to like decode the gcode.

Thanks
Sheldon
Attachments
denny_2.crv
(82.5 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: first pass way too deep

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I zero'd it manually and also used the fancy probe
Are you setting your Z-Zero to the TOP of the material? That is how your job is set up.
When I make the gcode file and put it on my router, the first pass is 0.250" deep.
How are you determining that it is 0.25" deep?
Can someone recommend a good gcode reference book?
G-Gode Reference on wikipedia

I'd also recommend select ramps to your toolpaths.
Ramps.PNG
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

This is the g-code bible.
https://www.amazon.com/Programming-Hand ... 0831133473

But G-Code is incredibly simple.
If you see a line of code like this.

G1 Z-0.5

It means move the Z axis at the commanded feedrate to -0.5.

G-code is basically just a list of coordinates that the machine moves to, using some basic commands.
G0 - Rapid move
G01 - Feedrate Move
G02 - CW arc
G03 - CCW arc
F## - set feedrate
S## - set spindle speed
M3 Start Spindle
M5 - Stop Spindle
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

shelkol

Post by shelkol »

rcnewcomb,

Yes I have the reference set to the top of my material and I have the material thickness set to 0.125. I am just trying to cut one side of aluminum angle, so setting it on a 2x4.

I am measuring the depth with a caliper. Been using 2x4 for samples - use fewer waist boards :)

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Are you sure you aren't mixing up metric/inches on your control software? With the settings you have the first pass would be 0.244mm which would equate to 0.244 inches if something is out of whack units wise.

shelkol

Post by shelkol »

Adrian,
If I did set something to mm, I can't find it. Plus if the first pass was set to 0.010 mm, that would be about 0.004"

I guess I will have to experiment with the gcode and see where it goes haywire.

Thanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

No, what I am saying is that if you exported the g-code from VCarve in metric and then loaded it into your control software that was expecting inches then that would account for the first pass being 0.25".

You're doing 13 passes to makes 0.125" which gives 0.0096" per pass. That equates to 0.244mm. If you saved the g-code using a metric rather than inches post processor it would write the first pass as a Z movement of -0.244 which your control software may be seeing as an inch movement.

I can't think of any other way you would be seeing a first pass of 0.25" otherwise.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Make sure the mill isn't slipping out of the collet. Possible problems could be bad or worn out collet, or too big of collet for the mill. It could also be a bad nut...the snap ring holding the collet got hot and not clamping the collet tight enough. Easy to check. See where it zeros out after the pass. If it's lower than what was originally set, that's the problem.

Gary

shelkol

Post by shelkol »

Garylmast: Yeah, I checked the zero after I did it and it was still fine. In fact I have just been routing the same block, so it really isn't cutting anything.

Adrian: I did another project with the same software and it worked correctly.

So what I think I will do is edit the gcode and see if I can determine which line is causing it to go that extra 1/4 inch.

Thanks
Sheldon

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Adrian wrote:No, what I am saying is that if you exported the g-code from VCarve in metric and then loaded it into your control software that was expecting inches then that would account for the first pass being 0.25".

You're doing 13 passes to makes 0.125" which gives 0.0096" per pass. That equates to 0.244mm. If you saved the g-code using a metric rather than inches post processor it would write the first pass as a Z movement of -0.244 which your control software may be seeing as an inch movement.

I can't think of any other way you would be seeing a first pass of 0.25" otherwise.
Don't most of the posts output the proper g code to put the machine into metric if a metric post is selected? Pretty sure the mach3 posts do that but I am too lazy to head out to the shop to look.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

TReischl wrote:
Don't most of the posts output the proper g code to put the machine into metric if a metric post is selected? Pretty sure the mach3 posts do that but I am too lazy to head out to the shop to look.
Some do some don't.

Just seems to much of a coincidence to me that the two measurements are near enough identical. I don't get why some projects would work and some wouldn't though.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Adrian wrote: Some do some don't.

Just seems to much of a coincidence to me that the two measurements are near enough identical. I don't get why some projects would work and some wouldn't though.
Gotta agree with you there, very suspect.

It just amazes me how many times these sort of problems appear and I have yet to see one where the software output the wrong code. One of the great things about Vectric software is that it goes through a thorough debugging process. When I have a problem I check the code first because that is the easiest thing to do but I always know it is not the issue.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Can you post the problem VCarve file?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Can you post the problem VCarve file?
It is in the first post.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Missed that - thank you

As to the G-Code --- when I post in mach3 - which is pretty generic - the depth of pass looks like it is posting precisely what you want it to do. .010 per pass - I don't see anything even close to .25 depth anywhere.

Look at the "Z" axis commands. Anything positive is ABOVE the material surface and anything minus is cutting in the material.

The issue you are having is not in the programming, therefore is must be in setup or in machine or machine control. The other thing, is in the posting of the g-code - like others have said, mixing inches with mm.

So, can you post YOUR g-code that you are having trouble with.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC