Wood Grain Sign Foam HDU Problem

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
AerialRouting
Model of CNC Machine: 5640-5530

Wood Grain Sign Foam HDU Problem

Post by AerialRouting »

Long story Short. I need to route a wood grain foam sign with copy and a logo in it.

How do I accomplish a wood grain texture, (using aspire), where the routed texture background can go right up to the text/letters & logo on the sign without actually affecting the edges of the all the letters and logo?

I know how to create the actual wood grain texture. I've done signs where the texture stops about 1/8in short of the letters and logo, but its just looks very lazy...

Please somebody give me the keys to pandora and tell me how to get this done. Please & Thank You

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Wood Grain Sign Foam HDU Problem

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Do you want v-carved lettering or raised text? Maybe something like this? In this example I used the Create Shape tool for the text and set the combine mode to "Merged"
Attachments
Wood Grain with Text.jpg
Steve

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Use offsets of the text and other raised features border(s) to keep the texture tool path(s) away from the objects. The idea is to offset enough to accommodate the texture tool diameter without making the transition "too visible". Layers are your friend here, too, to keep some sanity.

AerialRouting
Model of CNC Machine: 5640-5530

Post by AerialRouting »

Hey Guys,
Yes raised Letters.

Im using 1"(thick) sign foam. The Letters and Logo to be raised and there is a border as well. So I need to have it route out the dead-space around the text and logo inside the border. And route the texture into the deadspace. But have the texture not affect the letters in anyway. Pretty much like that picture you uploaded, Steve. I'm almost there with my cutfile/toolpaths now. Where I have it using a 108 degree V-bit to go around the text and logo .1875"(deep) into the material, also a 1/4in straight bit as the flat clearance tool pass. And Im using a 60 degree engraving bit to do the wood texture at 1/4" deep. Now I am seeing a problem where in sharp corners during the vbit/flat clearance pass that its not taking out some of the material. Like in the "W" its leaving little triangle sections that are not routed flat like the rest of the background before it gets to the texture tool pass.

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Texture paths get funky near the edges of edges & islands. It's just the way they're calculated. I think the best bet for a close look to sandblasted wood sign is to do the texture in the full background, without the letters/logo, then route pockets for the letters/logo so you can inlay the pieces.

Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

We usually carve the texture over the whole thing, then pocket for the letters, cut the letter separately and glue in. The texture comes exactly to the letters and cuts faster because the cutter doesn't have to pause to go around the letters and deal with all the fiddly bits on the insides of the letters. The letters themselves can be cut with 2d paths that go very quickly. This also allows you to use thinner (cheaper) material for the backing and have the letters stick out as much as you want.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

For me it's generally the same as Chris & Steve have said, the other advantage (for me) is that my painting skills are not the best & working this way means I can paint both the background & the letters before fitting the letters so don't have to worry about getting paint where it shouldn't be :lol: :lol: