And Then I Got Crazy!

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Re: And Then I Got Crazy!

Post by Aussie »

Beautiful work.... thank you for the inspiration.
Ron
Crafers Crafts

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR 8 Pro+

Post by laflippin »

Well, dang it, Randall--just when I figured I'd had an original thought...but, nooooooooooo! Anyway, that photo gallery you linked is hilarious!

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks Ted!

You got me going through the house looking for "Purple Overtones" :)
Didn't use any Black Walnut in the house 20 yrs ago, so all Black Walnut experience has been in last 5 yrs.
Didn't notice any in the KD stuff from Atlantic Hardwoods!
It was All in the 500bf we got from an Amish friend up North that he got in a truckload from a PA community and the Walnut was PAD in a barn.
(Jonas is a furniture builder in Easton,Maine...and when the 3 communities need wood, they contact the PA communities for a truckload. As a favor he got us 1,500bf of Cherry/Maple/Walnut)

The Purple is only where the Walnut shades to almost Black, and Really only shows up for me when sanded to 600G and several coats of oil finish under halogen or direct sunlight....
Maybe it's just my eyeballs and imagination :D
Turns out almost as impossible to take a picture of as "Fugitive Purples" in an Opal! :x
(It's really just an overtone anyways).
Never even had a hint of it in all the KD thin Black Walnut we got from Ocooch.

Yep:) :) I'VE had people drop the board feet where knots/splits/holes caused some CRAZY grain patterns too! :D
UNTIL they found out that was what I WANTED :(

GREAT back story and details Ted!! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

sawmiller
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: joe's rack and pinion hybrid

Post by sawmiller »

excellent
woodmizer sawmill and joe's hybrid cnc, a good combination
In the heart of Tn

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

Love your box. Interesting story regarding Wayne Barton’s classes and system of sharpening the carving knives. I have a surgeon woodworking friend who took Wayne’s class many years ago. While in the class Wayne sort of picked on my friend and suggested he consider something else, such as basket weaving only to remember that basket weaving can be complicated like chip carving and its attendant need for having properly sharpened carving knives. Funny thing about this is my friend gave mini-chip carving classes at a later point for members of our woodworking club and some members turned out spectacular pieces. One of the problems my friend created with his new skills was going into the surgical center at the hospital and sharpening all the surgical scalpels with the chip carving stones (the scalpels weren’t disposable ones at that time). He forgot that human flesh requires a knife edge to have serrations and the sharpening stones for chip carving created highly polished the edges. Patients complained and other surgeons were royally miffed at him. Oops.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

AWESOME.

I have been thinking of stuff like that, but just don't have time right now.

The box is absolutely beautiful.

Mostly, it makes me thing of retirement.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Thanks Dan, Leo.

Dan, good story! Years ago I taught box making classes at several local WoodCraft stores in the Chicago area for a while. One saturday morning I only had two students. It did not take long to figure out they were both surgeons. It was one of the most fun classes I ever taught. Talk about guys who can focus, WOW!

Leo, thanks. Yup, retirement is different, that is for sure. It took me a while to figure out that I am not in a hurry to do anything anymore (I still drive slightly above the speed limit though). Right now I am working on an Anniversary plate for sister in law and her hubby. At this point it appears that it will be 16 inches in diameter with scalloped edges and a boat load of chip carving. The design process is time consuming. I am a bit hung up on the sentiment I would like to engrave on it, going to have to go look for a good quote.

At this point it looks like this:
Capture.JPG
A lot of that design is Wayne Barton and a little bit of my own. Accurately drawing these things is a challenge. It is not just a matter of tracing and Voila! I just upgraded to Corel 2019 and it has really helped a lot. Stuff like this can be drawn in Aspire, but it would be a lot more work.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Wow - That is a beautiful design. Looking forward to seeing that cut!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

That round dish is beautiful. I agree you will need to post that also.

I think after I retire, next year I may need to learn how to slow down. For now I am cramming everything in whatever available time I have - that I have energy to do stuff. Weekdays after work is not good time any longer as my energy level is low. I used to work in the shop till 8-9 pm. Now a half hour or hour in the shop is a rarity after a work day.

I do love the designs you are working with.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

Ted,
fabulous design, can't wait to see the finished piece!
Maker of sawdust

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by rtibbs »

I think after I retire, next year I may need to learn how to slow down.

I hate to disappoint you Leo however, I've been 'retired' for several years and I'm busier than ever. :mrgreen:
Often wonder how I had time for a 'real' job.

Ron

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

rtibbs2018 wrote:I think after I retire, next year I may need to learn how to slow down.

I hate to disappoint you Leo however, I've been 'retired' for several years and I'm busier than ever. :mrgreen:
Often wonder how I had time for a 'real' job.

Ron
There is a subtle but distinct difference between "being busy" and "slowing down". I am slowed down but still very busy. Since there is rarely a reason to be in a hurry to get something done I have slowed down. Still doing lots of things, just not at a frantic pace.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Post by CarveOne »

Excellent design work and implementation Ted. I have a couple of Wayne Barton books also. Books on chip carving, and books on leather belt designs are also very good sources of inspiration.

As for being retired, I'm still waiting for it to happen. I filled out all of the official paperwork at 65 y/o, but it hasn't happened yet, and that was 9 years ago. I have only gotten busier than ever since designing and building my two CNC machines. We'll have to swap visits sometime. I'm maybe 1-1/2 hours drive away from Leland.

CarveOne
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

CarveOne wrote:Excellent design work and implementation Ted. I have a couple of Wayne Barton books also. Books on chip carving, and books on leather belt designs are also very good sources of inspiration.

As for being retired, I'm still waiting for it to happen. I filled out all of the official paperwork at 65 y/o, but it hasn't happened yet, and that was 9 years ago. I have only gotten busier than ever since designing and building my two CNC machines. We'll have to swap visits sometime. I'm maybe 1-1/2 hours drive away from Leland.

CarveOne
Thanks! I was thinking the same thing about visiting when you mentioned you were in the WoodCraft in Raleigh. I usually make a trip up there once a year or so whether I need anything or not. I did not realize you were that close. We go through your neck of the woods a few times a year on our way up to the Eastern Shore to visit her relatives ( I always like that trip because my brother in law is an all around great guy and one heckuva wood carver).

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Post by CarveOne »

I go there more often than I ought to. :)

I used to go to Klingspor Woodworking Shop in North Raleigh a lot. Unfortunately for me, they moved to Cary, NC and I haven't made the trip there since they moved. I sure wish I had the ability to convince Woodcraft to open a store here. I would be happy to teach CNC classes to customers of the Shark CNC machines that they sell there. It would save us both a lot of gas money.

CarveOne
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com