HD4 with 7 watt laser

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
CharliesWoodStuff
Model of CNC Machine: HD4

HD4 with 7 watt laser

Post by CharliesWoodStuff »

I’m trying to configure the “bit” for using the 7 watt laser.

What is the “width” I need to use for the laser?

Are there any videos that take me step by step in configuring and using it?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: HD4 with 7 watt laser

Post by Adrian »

Don't think the width matters as long as you specify the "cut" to be On the vector rather than inside/outside. The centre of the "bit" is used for the toolpath calculations.

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built aluminum and steel 3 X 4 CNC

Post by rig gap »

I specified the smallest diameter I could (1/32") just so the toolpath preview would look right...as Adrian said, just choose to cut on the line, not inside/outside.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I use .007 on mine.

How did arrive at that value you ask. . .

By cutting cutting an inside square and an outside square in some veneer until they fit nicely. I started with a .005 diameter so it did not take long at all.

The idea of cutting on the line if you are doing marquetry type work does not produce the best fits, they are sort of ok. The reason being is that if you are cutting on the line it guarantees that there will be clearance equal to beam diameter. .007 in smaller work is just way too much.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Although my laser is a 400 watt, I noticed the closer the nozzle is from the material it gives a narrower line. Sometimes when I'm cutting, the material is warped so I adjust the nozzle to clear the high point. I've noticed at the lower places, the cut is wider and sometimes has soot at the edges.

Gary

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

garylmast wrote:Although my laser is a 400 watt, I noticed the closer the nozzle is from the material it gives a narrower line. Sometimes when I'm cutting, the material is warped so I adjust the nozzle to clear the high point. I've noticed at the lower places, the cut is wider and sometimes has soot at the edges.

Gary
Yup. You probably know all about focal length. Suffice it to say that the longer you can set the focal length the less problems you will have with varying beam diameter. On my laser the focal length is 6 inches. The thing to remember with lasers is that they are not like cutting tools, the "keep that bit as short as possible" does not apply. Of course if it gets too long you can start to experience other problems, like any little itty bitty jitter in the machine is magnified.

The focal length on mine can be adjusted by turning the lens cap, so it is obviously more than a lens cap.

IIRC the most intense spot of the beam should actually be about 1/3 the thickness of the material below the surface, not right at the surface. The reason is that there is enough heat concentration to cut but some of the beam divergence is split between upper and lower surfaces. This may have changed over the years or is only applicable to Co2 lasers.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns