Importing STL for 3D project

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Loesch
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft V2-600

Importing STL for 3D project

Post by Loesch »

I'm getting around to trying a 3D cut for the first time. I have a STL file of a wine barrel with grapes and leaves that my wife wants cut. When I view the original file in a STL viewer, it looks fine and matches the JPG that came with it. However, when I import the file to Vcarve Pro, I'm missing many portions of the design and can't figure out why. Anyone with experience in 3D carvings have any suggestions?
Attachments
Original File
Original File
After Importing
After Importing

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Importing STL for 3D project

Post by Adrian »

Where did you set the "Zero plane position in model" slider on the import form? If it was set to the centre I could see it causing that problem.

Loesch

Post by Loesch »

I thought of that and moved both of the two sliders (shape height and base height) up and down, but it didn't reveal any additional detail in the model.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Loesch wrote:I thought of that and moved both of the two sliders (shape height and base height) up and down, but it didn't reveal any additional detail in the model.
Pay attention to Adrian, he said "zero plane position" not "shape height and base height". He was referring to THIS slider when you import the model:
Capture 1.JPG
If you do not set that slider correctly when IMPORTING there is nothing you can do to fix it later on.

Here is your model when the slider is set correctly when IMPORTING:
Capture.JPG
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Loesch

Post by Loesch »

That was what I was missing. Thought it was set by the model and evidently didn't try changing it. I did as Adrian and TReischl suggested and now I have the full detail I needed. Thank you both for the education.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

BTW, I have not had a chance to cut that model yet, if you get a chance post it up when you are done in the Gallery section. Would love to see it for real.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns