Recruiting a New Full Time Designer

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
jmtyler72
Model of CNC Machine: Outsource

Recruiting a New Full Time Designer

Post by jmtyler72 »

We are new to Apsire and currently also use a mixture Rhino and Adobe Creative Suite to produce our designs. We produce badges, buttons , cufflinks, and Keyrings for major heritage attractions and other customers such as the MOD. Aspire is therefore perfect for producing CNC ready artwork. Our current designer is leaving to move back home so we are looking to hire a new experienced full time Designer. I was wondering if any of you could advise on where would be best to advertise or if there are any other groups or forums that you could recommend? We are based in Great Barr Birmingham UK. Thanks in advance - Jonathan

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Re: Recruiting a New Full Time Designer

Post by mezalick »

Jonathan,
As to where would be the best place to advertize.....I think you just did.
There are several modelers here that would create outstanding projects for you.

I would be happy to be included in the list of possible designers.

You can view just a small selection of my work here.
http://www.carveddetals.com

My email is mm@mezalick.com

Best regards,
Michael
Attachments
35970333_1619392781503201_3522074217254223872_n (1).jpg
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Our current designer is leaving to move back home
Can your current designer work remotely?
I was wondering if any of you could advise on where would be best to advertise or if there are any other groups or forums that you could recommend?
Do you have local colleges that train people in graphic design? You want someone who is talented and creative. They probably have been using Adobe in school. Learning Aspire and/or Rhino should come quickly.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

If you run an ad in the wrong place you will get legions of folks who have gone to some kind of school for illustration work, they will not have a clue about designing for manufacturing. But, imho, it is much easier to teach someone about machine capabilities than it is to teach a machine type of person about graphic work.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Do you have local colleges that train people in graphic design? You want someone who is talented and creative. They probably have been using Adobe in school. Learning Aspire and/or Rhino should come quickly.

I know you are a very experienced user Randall but I am not sure I agree 100% with that, maybe it was just me or maybe it was because I was a lot older but I found the difference between 2D & 3D to be a lot larger than I had thought they would be :lol: :lol:
When I was working as a signmaker I picked up 2D graphics very quickly, made great progress even though I hadn't had any previous training in Graphic Design.
When I started looking at 3D design for machining with thr Router I really struggled to get to grips with it, 2D is pretty easy in that no matter what you do it always stays flat, throw 100 vector or bitmap images on top of each other & it makes no difference :lol: :lol: The order & visability of each layer/page is obviously important for everything to be seen as it should but that is the only thing you need to worry about.

I found when you introduced height it changed everything, the more components I added the more difficult it became to keep track of what was going on with the different combine modes, having to add base height, lilt & fade components etc etc.

Like I say maybe it was just me & being that much older made a big difference :lol: :lol:

jmtyler72 I take it retaining you current designer & them working remotely isn't an option for you. With design type work I think that is something that can work quite well these days. Not sure the actual products you produce make that much difference if looking for someone to do design work, a good experienced designer should be able to adapt to just about any type of product :lol: :lol: