Vcarve 3D model limitation (non .v3m)

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ezurick

Vcarve 3D model limitation (non .v3m)

Post by ezurick »

So I finally am starting to get into 3D (actually 2.5D) carving. I went through quite a few instruction websites and videos on creating 3D models from 2D graphics in Photoshop. My first one was a Chinese Dragon from a simple picture. It turned out pretty good since I was able to save it into an .OBJ format and import it into my project board. Again, I am kinda new to the 3D stuff and I know how to do basic 3D Rough and 3D Finish toolpaths in a 3D project. After converted my second (different style) Chinese Dragon model, I wanted to import it to the same project... NOPE! My Vcarve states that I can only import ONE 3D file, unless it is a Vectric .v3m model. I see all versions have the same limitation except Aspire. I am trying to understand the reasoning why there is this limitation... but I can't think of any.

Can someone explain the rationale behind this limitation to me? What difference should it be to Vectric whether I use multiple home-made 3D objects in the same project? I know the .v3m is proprietary to Vectric... but are they trying to force us into purchasing their models at the expense of what we paid for this software? That is the only reason I can think of logically. thoughts?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Vcarve 3D model limitation (non .v3m)

Post by Adrian »

Because it's a business and they want to sell Aspire and/or 3D models from Design and Make?

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

ezurick wrote: I know the .v3m is proprietary to Vectric... but are they trying to force us into purchasing their models at the expense of what we paid for this software? That is the only reason I can think of logically. thoughts?
Yes, they are. What a concept, huh?
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I think it's part of their marketing plan and why doing the research before buying is essential. If V-Carve did everything that Aspire does no one would buy Aspire.
Steve

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Yup, without a doubt Vectric is a business and they do want individuals to purchase either ASPIRE (which if I recall correctly it is unlimited to as how many 3D models can be used) and all the various individual models or model packages produced/sold by Design & Make!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

ezurick wrote:...My Vcarve states that I can only import ONE 3D file, unless it is a Vectric .v3m model. I see all versions have the same limitation except Aspire...
Hi Ed,

It wasn't too long ago (2015) that VCarve could not import any 3D models of any kind. That was fine - if a user wanted to use 3D models in a project, they would simply purchase Aspire (or a much more costly competing software). The vast majority of VCarve users didn't have need of using 3D models in their projects and chose VCarve software for that reason.

With the release of VCarve version 8, the ability to import one third-party 3D model was added to VCarve software. In addition, the ability to import the proprietary *.v3m Vectric model format was added (no limitation as to number).

At that time, I predicted to myself that a certain amount of confusion and perhaps occasional "fussing" from VCarve users would happen as a result of that nice addition to the VCarve software. Fortunately, there is mostly genuine appreciation from VCarve users for that addition than there has been "fussing" about the limitations.

Unfortunately, there is still a bit of confusion about VCarve's model import feature - especially newcomers who mistakenly believe that VCarve should "do it all" without the necessity to upgrade to Aspire. I'm not being critical, just pointing out the "confusion". I sometimes wish we could go back to "VCarve is for 2D only" and "Aspire is for 2D and 3D". There was no confusion back then!

:D

Disclaimer: The above is my personal opinion only and is NOT representative of any official Vectric employee or staff member!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

I am fine with the current limitations.
One thing bothers me is that Aspire can not export to Vcarve format with ANY 3d model inside. So, if I do a project in Aspire (only one 3d-part) and want to share it with Vcarve users, I have to start everything from scratch in Vcarve. Surely possible but a f*n waste of time.

Stix
Model of CNC Machine: Nothing Fancy

Post by Stix »

Simply do as you have been to create your models. Just compile everything into one model, then import it to VCP.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Stix wrote:Simply do as you have been to create your models. Just compile everything into one model, then import it to VCP.
I tried that and when I imported the .obj... vcarve would only pull in the far left graphic only. It had 3 different graphic items. Perhaps I did something wrong in Photoshop and I will play with it. It is rather intensive since rendering takes quite some time.

Appreciate the few other responses... some a bit snobbish... Michael's explanation was pretty thorough... But the way I see it... it would be like if adobe charged me for photoshop and I was limited to importing only one graphic file UNLESS I purchased their proprietary graphic file. Many other graphics programs apply. I am also aware that the market for 2d vs 3d CNC CAD programs are very limited. I would also think that owners of Aspire like the limitation... but I'll be the first to say it IS NOT a reason for me to sink a couple of grand into a program just for that. If Vcarve didn't allow any import before v9, then I would also think it is a great addition to the features. Remember, we are talking about IMPORTING 3D models... not creating them. But I suppose we can agree to disagree... and lastly, some of the responders should re-read your reply. I don't think you would use the same tone in the real world. I just asked a simple question.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

But the way I see it... it would be like if adobe charged me for photoshop and I was limited to importing only one graphic file UNLESS I purchased their proprietary graphic file.
No, it's not like that at all.
It would be more like if Photoshop started to allow you to do something only another Adobe program costing twice as much could do, but it only let you do it once.

Vectric isn't limiting V Carve's features, it's adding a limited feature typically only available in their higher priced software. AS mentioned before, previous versions of V Carve Pro could not import ANY 3D models, or create toolpaths for them.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

ezurick wrote:..... I would also think that owners of Aspire like the limitation...

I dunno, I am an owner of Aspire and I have not thought about how much I like the limitation put on VCarve, frankly, I never think about it at all.

but I'll be the first to say it IS NOT a reason for me to sink a couple of grand into a program just for that.

So, your need is not that great, that is probably why you did not shell out several grand in the first place, right? So now you hit a limitation and it is making you unhappy.

If Vcarve didn't allow any import before v9, then I would also think it is a great addition to the features. Remember, we are talking about IMPORTING 3D models... not creating them. But I suppose we can agree to disagree... and lastly, some of the responders should re-read your reply. I don't think you would use the same tone in the real world. I just asked a simple question.

Perhaps you should re-read what you wrote, you did not just ask a simple question. Your tone was that Vectric is in the business of ripping users off because of limitations on various versions of software. You are discovering that Vectric has a very loyal user base and the reason for that is simple: Vectric provides a good product at a reasonable price.

Stix
Model of CNC Machine: Nothing Fancy

Post by Stix »

ezurick wrote:
Stix wrote:Simply do as you have been to create your models. Just compile everything into one model, then import it to VCP.
I tried that and when I imported the .obj... vcarve would only pull in the far left graphic only. It had 3 different graphic items. Perhaps I did something wrong in Photoshop and I will play with it. It is rather intensive since rendering takes quite some time.

Appreciate the few other responses... some a bit snobbish... Michael's explanation was pretty thorough... But the way I see it... it would be like if adobe charged me for photoshop and I was limited to importing only one graphic file UNLESS I purchased their proprietary graphic file. Many other graphics programs apply. I am also aware that the market for 2d vs 3d CNC CAD programs are very limited. I would also think that owners of Aspire like the limitation... but I'll be the first to say it IS NOT a reason for me to sink a couple of grand into a program just for that. If Vcarve didn't allow any import before v9, then I would also think it is a great addition to the features. Remember, we are talking about IMPORTING 3D models... not creating them. But I suppose we can agree to disagree... and lastly, some of the responders should re-read your reply. I don't think you would use the same tone in the real world. I just asked a simple question.
I apologize if I came off a bit snobbish.
I have used other software to import different models, and I made all of the adjustments I wanted, then merged the models to create a single model. It then was imported into VCP and I was able to cut it.
Perhaps it's the software you are using or the order that is keeping you from accomplishing the same thing.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

TReischl wrote:
ezurick wrote: You are discovering that Vectric has a very loyal user base and the reason for that is simple: Vectric provides a good product at a reasonable price.
One of the other major reasons for the Vectric loyalty is their upgrade policy. I've been in software business my entire adult life.... and I've RARELY seen an upgrade poilcy anywhere near as good as theirs. You can start with the most inexpensive product and upgrade through the entire line. The kicker is that you only have to pay the difference between the products to upgrade. No time limits. No upgrade gotchas. Simple and straight forward.

I started with Vcarve Desktop, since it was all I'd ever need. Then I found the need and upgraded to Vcarve Pro. At that point I knew I'd want to upgrade to Aspire. But until that time, I could focus learning as much as I could on learning Pro. I did all of my multi-STL carves, by merging STLs outside of Vcarve. What a pain, but it worked.

After a while, I upgraded to Aspire. Same great upgrade policy. I feel my design options are unlimited (Until 10 :D). This is all from a retired guy who gives all his stuff away.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

TReischl wrote:
ezurick wrote:..... I would also think that owners of Aspire like the limitation...

I dunno, I am an owner of Aspire and I have not thought about how much I like the limitation put on VCarve, frankly, I never think about it at all.

but I'll be the first to say it IS NOT a reason for me to sink a couple of grand into a program just for that.

So, your need is not that great, that is probably why you did not shell out several grand in the first place, right? So now you hit a limitation and it is making you unhappy.

If Vcarve didn't allow any import before v9, then I would also think it is a great addition to the features. Remember, we are talking about IMPORTING 3D models... not creating them. But I suppose we can agree to disagree... and lastly, some of the responders should re-read your reply. I don't think you would use the same tone in the real world. I just asked a simple question.

Perhaps you should re-read what you wrote, you did not just ask a simple question. Your tone was that Vectric is in the business of ripping users off because of limitations on various versions of software. You are discovering that Vectric has a very loyal user base and the reason for that is simple: Vectric provides a good product at a reasonable price.
I have re-read my question. And it is simple. YOU are the one making it out to be something more than it is. As I stated many times... we are talking about "importing" graphics only. Nothing more. Although it is interesting to learn that before v9 it wasn't offered. It IS NOT a major feature of Aspire imo. And you are the prime reason for my snob remark. As like this reply you so elegantly provide (.sic), I have read dozens of your replies and comments. And I believe you know what I think about that. You and I are hopefully done at this.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

ezurick wrote:.....What difference should it be to Vectric whether I use multiple home-made 3D objects in the same project?

I know the .v3m is proprietary to Vectric... but are they trying to force us into purchasing their models at the expense of what we paid for this software? .....
Those are your simple questions.

Notice your use of the words "us" and "we". You are trying to make others dissatisfied with their decision to purchase VCarve.

Now we are done.