Rotating degrees/min

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
JMD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix GX2525 with rotary

Rotating degrees/min

Post by JMD »

Just set up rotary axis on my Probotix G2525. Using V-Carve Pro. A axis is moving in degrees per minute. Is there a way to change it to inches per minute. Right mow it is way to slow.
Also, I am using the Probotix post processor.
Thank you,
John

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Rotating degrees/min

Post by IslaWW »

No. If it is a rotary degrees per minute is the unit of choice. But there is a conversion to get the surface speed equivalent to an XY feedrate.

115 * (XY Feedrate) / (Blank diameter).

Example: 100 IPM and 2" diameter blank: 115 * 100= 11500 /2 = 5750 degrees per minute
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I do frequent rotary jobs for my students. For whatever bit I'm using I set the feed rate to 4000. That gets the A axis turning reasonably fast, but Y and Z moves are still limited by the hardware settings. No need to calculate a speed for every unique job. I use the feed speed slider to tweak the speed based on the current cut. Sometimes an initial plunge needs to be slowed down but all following movement can run full speed. Full bitwidth pass VS stepover pass.

4D

JMD
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JMD »

Thank you for the replays. I will give it a try.
John

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Hmmm, interesting. Not sure what the shark is using or the probotix for control software? I run Mach 3 and the feedrate is set by the control for the linear axis and the rotary. I recall having to set a couple things in the config page but after that I have not had to concern myself with how fast the rotary is turning.

It would seem to me that it would be problematic to have to calculate degrees/min based on the current diameter because in a rotary job there can be a lot of diameters and even diameters that are constantly changing. Think "oval" handle shapes.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Post by Greolt »

Does the Probotix control support G93 code?

A lot of controllers have inbuilt methods to compensate rotary axis feedrate. Mach3 does.

Almost all controllers will support G93 code.

Vectic software will output G93. Not sure all versions do.

JMD
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JMD »

4DThinker wrote:I do frequent rotary jobs for my students. For whatever bit I'm using I set the feed rate to 4000. That gets the A axis turning reasonably fast, but Y and Z moves are still limited by the hardware settings. No need to calculate a speed for every unique job. I use the feed speed slider to tweak the speed based on the current cut. Sometimes an initial plunge needs to be slowed down but all following movement can run full speed. Full bitwidth pass VS stepover pass.

4D
Tried this and it seems to doing a good for now. Will use it wile I look for other ways to get the job done.
Thank you

JMD
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JMD »

TReischl wrote:Hmmm, interesting. Not sure what the shark is using or the probotix for control software? I run Mach 3 and the feedrate is set by the control for the linear axis and the rotary. I recall having to set a couple things in the config page but after that I have not had to concern myself with how fast the rotary is turning.

It would seem to me that it would be problematic to have to calculate degrees/min based on the current diameter because in a rotary job there can be a lot of diameters and even diameters that are constantly changing. Think "oval" handle shapes.
Probotix uses LinuxCNC. I also think that having to calculate degrees/min is a little too much. Just getting started with rotary on the CNC. Have a lot of thing to learn yet.
Thank you for the help.

JMD
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JMD »

Greolt wrote:Does the Probotix control support G93 code?

A lot of controllers have inbuilt methods to compensate rotary axis feedrate. Mach3 does.

Almost all controllers will support G93 code.

Vectic software will output G93. Not sure all versions do.
Do not know enough about G-Code yet to know this. I am still learning and will check into it.
Thank you for all the help.
And a BIG thank you to all the people on the forum. I can always count on you for help. :) :)

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

JMD...
Each controller can provide a slightly different way to set or "combine" rotary axis speeds. Like Greolt says, G93 would be a good way to get predictable feedrates to your tools. As irritating as an extremely slow speed can be, imagine one that is too fast and you break bits in a second or two.

There is no advantage to not knowing what your rotary feedrates are and having the ability to change them to suit a particular job. That said, many that don't understand the principle or know how to do it may often say its not important. I disagree. It is the same principle as being able to set your X axis feedrate and spinning a wheel to select some random Y feedrate.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com