Project of the Month - Weathervane Country Clock

Stephanie Downing
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: xxx

Project of the Month - Weathervane Country Clock

Post by Stephanie Downing »

This month's free project from Michael Tyler is perfect for you if you're looking for a project to make over the weekend... Check out the Weathervane Country Clock.

Michael started with a Rooster model which is one of the included clipart items for Aspire and VCarve owners. It needed to be modified to suit the claw “clasping” the dome of the weathervane cardinal direction indicators.

All weathervane modelling and modifications to the Rooster were done using the Aspire software. I was able to export the composite model as a STL so it could be imported, thus, this project is compatible for both Aspire as well as VCarve users!

The finishing technique features some basic painting with acrylic craft paints (gold, green and white).

A “glaze” of American Walnut stain was applied overall, then wiped off to achieve the vintage “country” appearance.

Watch the full video of how Michael created his project and download the free project files here: https://www.vectric.com/vectric-communi ... =1&items=0
Attachments
Weathervane Country Clock - Finished
Weathervane Country Clock - Finished
Weathervane Country Clock In Progress
Weathervane Country Clock In Progress

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Project of the Month - Weathervane Country Clock

Post by gkas »

That's very nice. I like this a lot. I like how the paint (green) was applied for an antique look.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Great project!!! May have to slip this into my schedule.
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Thank you, Gerry and John! Glad you like it!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

OMG! This is awesome. I am SO glad you added the vcarve version and not just aspire (for use peasants... lol). This will make a great family gift. I just hope I can duplicate that glazing process and have it turn out like Michael's. I know... practice, practice, practice... lol.

Thanks so much Michael!

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by rtibbs »

Michael,
Another great looking project. Don’t know how you keep designing these projects but, keep’m coming.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Thank you for the kind words, Ed and Ron! I hope you have fun making this project!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

I was rather excited to get this project started since my wife is out of town... I wanted to have something completed on this before she returned in the evening. To save me a trip to the box store for wood, I ran out to my shed to see if I had any 11.25" width pine scrap available because I wanted to at least do the Rooster_Back first. I had none. :( However, I had some Oak pieces (.715" thick) that look like that are layered. Well, I am going to try it and see. So I prepped the piece of wood and set it up on my machine. I modified Michael's file for the .715 thickness and I see he used 1/16"ball nose. Darn! I don't have that. So I scrambled to amazon.com and purchased one... but it won't be here for a few days. However, I do have a 1/8" ball tool. So I tried to see in Vcarve if there would be any difference in quality or detail. I couldn't see any. So I moved forward and rough cut. I thought, oh no... it looks like a chopped up terrible mess. Being persistent that I am... I continued. Started running the 1/8" ball final...

I have to add that this will be my first 3D carving. Idid do Michael's vase project with the 1/8" ball a few weeks ago. But that was the closest I came to the 3D carving.

This pic is the 1/8" ball nearly finished...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/250wckqofspd3 ... R.jpg?dl=0

Since I didn't used Pine like Michael did, I used Oak. I personally don't like to stain Oak, so I had to modify the finish. I simply used a good coat of Teak Oil...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0c85eci18a52 ... 0.jpg?dl=0

My wife came home yesterday evening and she was very pleased with the result. The layers of the grain in the Oak gave off a rustic impression imo. Very neat. I still plan to try more in Pine and maybe other wood, but again I have to thank Michael for such a great project he shared. Salute!

~ Ed

Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Post by Samson »

It's a shame these free projects aren't offered to those people that haven't upgraded to the latest version.

DJ-Bino
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Versatil 1800

Post by DJ-Bino »

Samson wrote:It's a shame these free projects aren't offered to those people that haven't upgraded to the latest version.
Hello Samson,
That's exactly what I thought.
But it shows again that only makes money counts.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Guys,

I typically use the most current version of the Vectric software when creating the monthly projects. I like to keep up-to-date with the latest features myself. Nothing to do with “the money”.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Post by Samson »

My apologies. My point was that there are several POTM that I would like to give a try, but since I haven't upgraded to the latest version, I'm not able to download the files.
It would be nice if the projects were extended to all users of the software.

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by rtibbs »

Well Samson, life is full of choices.
I for one commend Michael for the variety of the excellent projects he produces.
My problem is that he produces them faster than I can cut them. :mrgreen:
Never seen one shoe which would fit all

Ron

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Samson wrote:My apologies. My point was that there are several POTM that I would like to give a try, but since I haven't upgraded to the latest version, I'm not able to download the files.
It would be nice if the projects were extended to all users of the software.

I am curious and I don't have older versions, but wouldn't a .crv file open in any of the CUT2D or VCARVE programs? What happens when you try to open the project? I have seen older version project files which I am able to open in my 9.5 version. I could understand that older version software wouldn't be able to use newer features, but completely flag them from opening is a bit extreme, imo. Of course some users would tend to disagree with anything I say...

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

A current version can open any version of a file created with a older version but an older version can't read a file created with a newer version. That's true of many software packages not just Vectric.

CRV files (of the correct versions) can be read by Cut2D and VCarve but any 3D data/VCarve only toolpaths will be ignored by Cut2D. Only Aspire can read CRV3D files.