Stopping a cut and going back to 0.0.0

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
misterx
Model of CNC Machine: CNC SHARK HD2 Extended bed

Stopping a cut and going back to 0.0.0

Post by misterx »

Hi, i have a shark hd3, I want to know if I pause a cut and then stop it on the computer screen with the curser (right next to the pause button), can I have the bit go back to 0.0.0? I always hit the red button on the control box then I have to close the control panel and start it again, and the bit is not at the start point. A lot of the time when that happens I already have the start point carved out because I use the center  XY Datum position. Or is there a way to stop a cut and not have to restart the control panel? Thanks Tim

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Stopping a cut and going back to 0.0.0

Post by TReischl »

You could help out the situation by not using the center of the workpiece that gets carved out as 0,0.

I rarely use it myself for two reasons. The first is because it causes the problem you are having. The second is because the center of the work is not an actual feature, it is just a point in the middle of nowhere. Normally I use a corner because I can always find that again.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

It would have to be a function of Mach3. I'm a WinCNC user but I'm pretty sure there is a way in Mach3 to stop the program and then restart at the gcode line where it was stopped. WinCNC will remember the settings even if the computer is turned off but if you move the board or remove it from the machine it can be difficult to re-index XY0. Another way, if you know the gcode line number where it stopped, is to edit the gcode file and remove the lines already executed.
Steve

Daniel S
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger SR-23

Post by Daniel S »

I have a Shark HD4 and have found that to be a problem also. If you use pause in your Pendant you can continue with the carve, if you use stop you can go back to you starting point, and start the carve from the beginning. I have found that I aways use the bottom left corner as my start point for most all carvings, only use center start for single carving pockets. I have created .5 x .75 L shaped maple blank, with a 0.0625 hole that is .5 in -Z and .5 -Y for reference point to the corner of my project. Hope that makes sense. I avoid the red button if possible and go for pause button.
Dan

misterx
Model of CNC Machine: CNC SHARK HD2 Extended bed

Post by misterx »

Thanks for the help to all, I think I'm going to have start my jobs in the lower left hand corner. Daniel S. is there any way you could email me a picture of how you have yours setup for the lower left corner, and tell me how you use it? My Email is misterx426@charter.net Thanks

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

misterx wrote:Thanks for the help to all, I think I'm going to have start my jobs in the lower left hand corner. Daniel S. is there any way you could email me a picture of how you have yours setup for the lower left corner, and tell me how you use it? My Email is misterx426@charter.net Thanks
You can start in any corner you want but a lot of people use the lower left for the simple reason that all the values in the g code will be positive. When you start the software just look at the little diagram and select a corner you want to use. Simple as that.

I use the upper right corner a lot because I use a vise on my machine most of the time. Upper because that is the fixed jaw on the vise and right because the material stop is on the right side. Pretty handy being able to do that. I can put job after job, all different sizes in there and it will cut perfect everytime.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Daniel S
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger SR-23

Post by Daniel S »

I will send 3 pictures for you to see how I setup my machine, This system works for me hope it helps you to find what works best for you. I am leaving town for 3 weeks but if you have questions feel free to email me.
Dan

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

This is a control software question rather than Vectric software, OK to post here but might also be worth posting in the shark forum since people in there will be using their control software. I can tell you exactly how I do things but it won't help unles you control software works the same way as mine & is set up the same way :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewforum.php?f=2