"Different tool" warning?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Olle
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna MCNCIQ

"Different tool" warning?

Post by Olle »

This has started happening after I upgraded to 9.5: I have several toolpaths using the same tool, but in some of them I have changed the feed rate. Sometimes when I save to the USB I get a "different tool" warning, even though all the toolpaths use the same tool. Then I re-select the very same tool in the offending toolpath, recalculate it and I can save it without any problems.

This seems to happen when I edit a toolpath to change the feed rate, cutting depth etc, every now and then Aspire won't recognize it as the same tool anymore. Has anybody else had this problem?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: "Different tool" warning?

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Ollie,

Double-check you are indeed selecting the same tool. I haven’t heard of anyone having the issue you describe as long as they select the exact same tool (and tool number is unique for each tool when multiple Toolpaths are saved all in one output file)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Olle
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Olle »

I have checked and double checked, and I have been very careful not to add possible duplicates to my tool list in order to avoid problems like this. For example: I only have one 1/8" straight bit in my list, and I use this regardless of the length and up/down spiral required for the actual cut.

What puzzles me is that this problem also occurs when I edit toolpaths that I have saved before without any problems. I run a prototype, then I change (for example) the feed rate in a certain toolpath, and after that it won't save together with the rest anymore. I'll see if I can duplicate the problem and post a file.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Alright.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Olle
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Olle »

I tried to reproduce the problem, but didn't have any luck. I'll see if I can save the file next time it happens.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Ok, Ollie. Thanks for trying to reproduce it. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen to you anymore, anyway!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

What "different" tool warning is it as there are different ones depending on what the issue is?

Olle
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Olle »

Adrian wrote:What "different" tool warning is it as there are different ones depending on what the issue is?
It's when I select the toolpaths and save to an output file through the post processor. It says: "Error: The visible toolpaths use different tools and the selected postprocessor does not support toolchanging".

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Olle wrote: It's when I select the toolpaths and save to an output file through the post processor. It says: "Error: The visible toolpaths use different tools and the selected postprocessor does not support toolchanging".
Which is exactly what is happening, even if you dont remember doing that. Most likely by pressing the "Select" button, rather than the "Edit" button.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Well, the program sees something different about the tools selected. If all else fails, edit one of the tools in the toolpath setup and change the tool number.
Steve

Olle
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Olle »

IslaWW wrote:Which is exactly what is happening, even if you dont remember doing that. Most likely by pressing the "Select" button, rather than the "Edit" button.
Not sure if I follow you... this happens after I have edited the toolpaths. I run a preview, then I select the finished toolpaths and try to save them to the USB stick. It's that last step that gives me an error message.
SteveNelson46 wrote:Well, the program sees something different about the tools selected. If all else fails, edit one of the tools in the toolpath setup and change the tool number.
Yes, it seems like it won't recognize it as the same tool anymore. When it happens, I just have to open the toolpath that causes the error, re-select the same tool and recalculate. Nothing has really changed, but the problem goes away. Maybe Aspire just wants a new tool now and then, instead of a used one? :D

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard

Post by IslaWW »

Post a file in which this occurs.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard

Post by IslaWW »

Post a file in which this occurs.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Olle
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Olle »

I'll save and post next time it happens.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I think what everyone here is trying to say is that after you select a tool in the toolpath setup you can then click on the "Edit" button and change the tool paramaters for this toolpath only without changing the tool setup in the database.
Attachments
Toolpath Setup.jpg
Steve