Quadropod

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Quadropod

Post by Tailmaker »

Another more practical project in 3/4" phenolic clad Baltic Birch plywood. Well, you can call it a gadget.

Folded up for storing, 2 parts held together with strong magnets:
DSC01635.JPG
Separated and legs folded out:
DSC01637.JPG
Assembled and locked:
DSC01638.JPG
Ahh, that is the purpose.....
DSC01639.JPG
I had ordered a ready made tripod from the manufacturer and it was a sturdy piece of sheet metal design but a pain to assemble/disassemble and taking a lot of space.
As a four legged stool this design will tend to rock more than the tripod but the legs are pretensioned and don't move easily. It is also more tip-resistant than a tripod. I guess I will need a plastic sheet under the feet to avoid soaking the legs on muddy ground but a generous coat of tung oil should take care of some rain.

So this project is another proof what a few hours design and CNC work can do.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Quadropod

Post by scottp55 »

Hmmm....Nothing to do with compact storage to go gallivanting around the country in an RV G? :) :)
NICE JOB:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Nice job!

A neat trick to keep wood from soaking up ground moisture is to cut a couple of small pieces of old plastic cutting board and fasten them to the bottom of the legs. What also works is small pieces of wood with the grain running parallel to the ground. Those little pieces will eventually get ruined but the legs will be fine. I did this on some outdoor benches I made years ago, like 20 years ago. I have replaced the pads twice in that time but the bench legs are still in perfect condition.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

jib2
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna CNC

Post by jib2 »

That is absolutely awesome! Great Job. I can see a larger portable camping table for the table top grill as well.