First three Jobs :)

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
Beej
Model of CNC Machine: Z90 Bear Whopper 10'x5'

First three Jobs :)

Post by Beej »

Hi All,

As promised in my first post (re asking questions about bits we acquired with our CNC) here are some pics of what we have been up to. Gary is amazing with woodworking/cabinet making skills etc and I have experience in Photoshop, illustrator and many years painting murals, airbrushing bikes & hot rods in the UK etc . . so our partnership is working extremely well. But I have to be honest, we couldn't do it without VCarve! :) I am loving the software, still learning and still only done profile cuts really. Cannot wait to get into some proper VBit lettering, pocketing and Engraving and I need to find out where to get some 'foam' from to cut for 3D modelling. We are in Essex N London and I have asked Amari Plastics to send me info re Foamex, Dibond, Perspex etc as we have one in Basildon not too far away. But still need to find out more about bits and suppliers etc . .

Anyways, first set of pics are from a London, West End Show 'Decade of Dance'. We made a 'photowall' for selfies with logo and then cut the lovely ballerina silhouettes too on the CNC from VCarve. Artwork done in Adobe illustrator. The dresses which flanked the foyet display were also designed, dressed and supplied by us:
Decade-of-Dance1.jpg
Decade-of-Dance2.jpg
Decade-of-Dance3.jpg

Beej

Re: First three Jobs :)

Post by Beej »

The next job was commissioned for the Grandmother of a child who's 1st Birthday was a couple of weekends ago. She held a garden party and asked for woodland creatures and yet another 'Photowall', this time with a woodland image. We did also cut the child's name and cover this in silver glitter and placed it on the photowall, but I forgot to take a photo of it! All vectors drawn in Adobe illustrator and cut from VCarve to Mach3..
woodland-critters1.jpg
woodland-critters2.jpg
woodland-critters3.jpg
woodland-critters4.jpg
woodland-critters5.jpg
woodland-critters6.jpg

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

so our partnership is working extremely well
I agree. The design and execution are a great compliment.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Beej

Post by Beej »

The third job we are still working on presently. Miam-themed 80's night. We have also designed artwork for a sign (image below) which I drew first in Adobe illustrator, them brought into Photoshop to add all the effects and bling! ;) I then used the vector palm tree to import to VCarve in three sections; Palms, Trunk and a base for it to sit in. This will then be mounted to the semi-circle plinths which are 18mm MDF. All other pieces are 12mm MDF:
Miami-Skyline-1-with-logo.jpg
Palms-Screenshot-ai.png
Miami-Palms2.jpg
Miami-Palms3.jpg
Miami-Palms4.jpg
Miami-Palms5.jpg

Beej

Post by Beej »

This is roughly how it sits together, not fixed yet, doing all the fixing etc this week and also, need to clear-coat them all with a water-based varnish first.
Miami-Palms7.jpg
Miami-Palms6.jpg
Thanks for looking :) and really excited about getting more involved here in the Forums.

Cheers

Beej

Beej

Post by Beej »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
so our partnership is working extremely well
I agree. The design and execution are a great compliment.
Thanks Randall, appreciated :)

Beej

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

I’m sure enjoying seeing your work! Wonderful (and FUN) projects you guys are doing! Thank you for posting the pics and descriptions!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Beej

Post by Beej »

PS: Here is a funny story. See in this close-up of the layers in illustrator, I made a circle 4mm to make sure that I checked all the tight, inner curves between the palm leaves so they would cut properly.
Well, they would have if it had been left at (4ft) 1200mm wide! After spending what felt like an hour checking EVERY curve - Gary calls me later and says, 'No Beej - make it less than 4ft, just squash it in a bit mate!'

:o

So, I had to go with the artwork scaled within VCarve as didn't have illustrator at the workshop PC and also, didn't really want to re-draw every single curve again in VCarve!! We just about got away with it! Got a couple of little holes where the bit couldn't fit in any more between both lines (sigh!) ;) but it still came out OK. Decided to lose all the inner, detail 'holes' in the palms too, just incase!

More soon . .
Palms-screenshot-4mm-bit.jpg

Beej

Post by Beej »

mtylerfl wrote:I’m sure enjoying seeing your work! Wonderful (and FUN) projects you guys are doing! Thank you for posting the pics and descriptions!
Thanks Michael :)

Beej

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Nice stuff. You are producing 'signs' that we don't usually see. This is a great board, with a lot of very helpful people. Glad to have you... :D

Beej

Post by Beej »

gkas wrote:Nice stuff. You are producing 'signs' that we don't usually see. This is a great board, with a lot of very helpful people. Glad to have you... :D
Hey man, thank you, really appreciate that :) Looking fwd to getting heavily involved inside VCarve, just had to hit the ground running once the machine arrived (as I am sure everyone does). Spend SO long - about three weeks actually! - just watching tutorials so when we eventually got VCarve open and running, it felt a little easier. I am very excited about getting into more creative 'signage' as I used to be a signwriter many yrs back and used to read sign magazines from the USA, drooling over how they could make routed and sandblasted signage and all that lovely 3d! :) And now, we have the kit to give it a go!

So can't wait to buy a VBit and do some cool stuff . .

Thanks for the kind welcome :)

Beej

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Various

Post by RebeccaJ »

Hey BeeJ!

Thanks for sharing your projects with us! They are excellent, and the paint on them looks pukka!
It's great to hear how much you are enjoying VCarve :D and we look forward to more posts from you showcasing future projects :D :D

Thanks,
Beki
Beki
Senior Application Engineer - Vectric Ltd.

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

Beej,
Awesome stuff - please keep sharing the projects!

Beki,
...looks pukka!
Another new word for my vocabulary.
Thank you :D
Maker of sawdust

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Word of the Day: pukka

A slang-term used in British English to describe something as "first class" or "absolutely genuine".

The word pukka enjoys an unusual status in Britain both as a current slang term and a dusty relic of the Raj. As a London slang term, pukka means first-rate or excellent. The word rose to prominence over a decade ago, when it became one of the catchphrases of the TV chef, Jamie Oliver. Since then, a number of British companies have adopted it in their trading names: Pukka Pads, Pukka Teas, even Pukka Dating. The word’s fashionable makeover is all the more surprising given its former stuffy associations. The pukka sahib of the Raj is a conformist who plays by imperial rules, a type ruthlessly satirized by E. M. Forster in A Passage to India (1924) and George Orwell in Burmese Days (1934).
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I am NOT going to use that word (pukka). Nope. Never.

With my luck someone will claim that I swore at them.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns