V-Bit depth

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
skieva
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

V-Bit depth

Post by skieva »

How does VCarve determine what depth to use for a V-Bit if no flat depth is selected?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: V-Bit depth

Post by Rcnewcomb »

How do I set the Cut Depth when v-carving?
The V-carved Toolpath is unique because there is no way to set the Cut Depth. The toolpath requires a closed vector shape and will move the v-bit as deep as required to machine to the two vectors on either side of the bit.

In general:
The wider the gap between the two vectors, the deeper the v-bit will cut.
The narrower the gap between the two vectors, the shallower the v-bit will cut.
The higher the included angle of the v-bit, the more 'pointed' it is and the deeper it will cut.
The lower the included angle of the v-bit, the 'flatter' it is and will cut shallower
Note: As long as you have the Material Thickness accurately set in the Material Setup, the program will warn you if the depth of the v-carving will be deeper than the material thickness.

How can I adjust the depth of my v-carving when it is too deep or too shallow?
If your v-carving is cutting too deep you have a few options:

Easiest solution is the use the Flat Depth option near the top of the V-Carve / Engraving Toolpath form. This will still cut angled sides using a v-bit but the bottom will be flat and limited to the Flat Depth amount. This can be visibly different than a design carved to full depth without a flat bottom, but may be your only option especially if you need to work with the v-bits you have on hand.

Use a v-bit with a larger included angle, which cuts a shallower v-groove. For example, a 90-degree v-bit will cut shallower than a 60-degree v-bit, and a 120-degree v-bit will cut shallower than a 90-degree v-bit. See eg.1 below for different angle V-bits on a 2" circle profile.

Reduce the size of the vectors to reduce the gap. Typically not practical once the design is set, but may be one option if you have a limited number of different angle v-bits available.

If your v-carving is cutting too shallow switch to a v-bit with a higher included angle, i.e., more pointed.

Tip: Sometimes you may find the best angled v-bit for your project is one you don't have. Find out what v-bits are commercially available in your area and create tools for them in your tool database. Then use them with the Toolpath Preview until you get the results you want. Now you know exactly which v-bit you need to purchase to complete the project.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

skieva
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

Post by skieva »

I found my answer. How do I delete posts that no longer need attention?

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I have never found a way to delete them after a certain small window of opportunity.

Just think! Your question is now in the gaping maw of the internet, folks will be reading about the solution to your question hundreds of years from now!

It is like being immortal!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns