Piranha FX not completing cut

pipp
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha FX

Piranha FX not completing cut

Post by pipp »

I designed a simple pocket cut toolpath in V Carve Desktop. The toolpath preview looks great, indicated run should take 59 minutes. Saved crv file to my desktop, saved tap file to my desktop. Then I copied the tap file to thumb drive. Put thumb drive into pendant, did an air cut, it only ran for 3 minutes. Screen said all lines were sent. I sent crv and tap file to Vectric support and they said that all was good, it should cut, suggested it may be a problem with the pendant or CNC. I contacted Nextwave automation, I did a factory restore on the pendant, per their suggestion, still did not fix the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? All the G code is there, but CNC is not completing but a fraction of the cut.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Piranha FX not completing cut

Post by mtylerfl »

Perhaps you will post your file here so we have the best chance to be helpful?

Your initial estimated time of 59 minutes for a "simple pocket" sounds excessive, but maybe the pocket is really large - or your Scale Factor is way off? We don't know. Are you using mm or inches, and does this "match-up" between the code and your machine controller?

Since you already sent the file to Vectric Support, I wonder if we can spot anything "wrong" in the file itself though.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Have you checked that the tap file on your thumb drive matches the one on the desktop? If you didn't eject it properly from windows then it could have truncated the file. If you sent the desktop version to Vectric it would have checked out ok.

pipp

Post by pipp »

pendant
pendant
toolpath summary
toolpath summary
I tried to upload the tap file, but it won't allow me to. I did compare th g code on flash drive, laptop, and pendant, and they are all the same. I am confident that when i removed the flash drive from my laptop I did so correctly. I was thinking of trying to do the cut direct from my laptop, rather than inserting flashdrive in the pendant.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You say it ran for 3 minutes but what did it do for those three minutes? Did it look like it was moving over the whole area?

To upload the tap file you'll need to rename it as a txt file or zip it. Uploading the crv file would be useful as well. Not sure if we can add anything though as Michael says if the Vectric staff have already checked it out. Sounds more like an issue for NextWave support or forum.

pipp

Post by pipp »

Thank you, I believe you are correct. I really think this is the CNC or pendant. I will try using a different flash drive, and also running direct from my laptop. I will let you know what happens. Thanks for your responses. I am new to the CNC, I really appreciate your input. Thanks again.

pipp

Post by pipp »

finn125spiral txt.txt
(143.82 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
1finn125.zip
(148.28 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

The 3 minutes it ran, it did seem that it was.would have cut correctly. I only did air cuts.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hello,

Your pendant shows the right size file, but much less lines than the gode file (more than 6,000). Maybe a track.

Did you check you used the right postprocessor for your machine?

pipp

Post by pipp »

Hello. I downloaded the control panel and run an air cut from my laptop, it looks as if it is cutting correctly. So as suggested by Adrian, the file I sent to Vectric support was from my laptop and not the flashdrive, which does explain why they did not see anything wrong. So I can cut direct from my laptop for now. But I plan on getting a new flashdrive, because I would prefer that method. I know I ejected the flashdrive correctly, but something went wrong, the "file was truncated" somehow. Hopefully a new flashdrive will fix the problem.
What I don't understand though LittleGreyMan states the pendant shows the right file size, but Less Lines than the g code file. How can the file size be the same, but have less g code lines, shouldn't that shrink the file size? That's what I was looking at when the problem began. The tap file size on my computer was the same size as the tap file on the pendant. I thought if anything was missing the file sizes would be different. What GB flashdrive should I be using? Is there a specific brand flashdrive I should be using? And one last question, I have heard that some programs don't respond correctly to Windows 10, has anyone had similar issues when using Windows10?
Thank you everybody for your advice!!! I am so glad I can start cutting, I just would prefer using a falshdrive rather than running direct from my laptop. Thanks again everyone!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

There aren't any issues using Vectric software with Windows 10.

If you've still got the file on the flashdrive you could load it into an editor such as Notepad etc to see how many lines there are in there to confirm it's the issue.

pipp

Post by pipp »

Hello, I wanted to give an update on my issue with the Piranha FX not completing cut. So I did download the control panel and attempted to run the cut direct from my laptop. I believe it would have worked, HOWEVER, my laptop goes into sleep mode after a few minutes, and when it did, the cut also stopped. Not wanting to do my cuts direct from my laptop anyway, I did try a new flashdrive, and it worked! I have attempted a few different cuts on the new flashdrive, and each time the cuts did complete the full cut. Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. It is much appreciated

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

You need to go into your laptop and do away with all the power saving and sleep modes while NOT running on the battery. I run my machine off a laptop with Mach4 and its set up to be a machine computer not a Windows internet surfing machine.
Yes flashdrives can be corrupted.