Specifying grain direction in Sketchup for import into Cut2D

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
ElliotandNolan
Model of CNC Machine: not chosen yet

Specifying grain direction in Sketchup for import into Cut2D

Post by ElliotandNolan »

This is in a cabinet making context, and I'm new to CNC machining

I want to use Sketchup for designing my cabinets because I've used it for years. The problem I'm facing is that when I import the model into Cut2D Pro it's not necessarily laying the parts out in the way I want it to, which is to have the grain of the material running parallel to the edges. I've experimented with applying textures to the surfaces but that's not doing it. It's fine if I lay the parts out flat in the Sketchup model but I'd prefer not to have to do that if I can avoid it.

Thanks in anticipation

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Specifying grain direction in Sketchup for import into C

Post by Adrian »

You can orientate the face by material type but, if you're relying on "exploding" a 3D model, the orientation of the xy can't be set as far as I know. It's unlikely that the imported layout would be the most efficient for machining anyway. If you didn't know already you can use the 9 and 0 keys to rotate vectors in 45 degree steps which I find is the fastest way to re-align parts.

Typically with cabinet parts you would use the nesting function after importing them if you have Cut2D Pro.

ElliotandNolan

Post by ElliotandNolan »

Thanks Adrian. I'm not relying on exploding the models, it's just that it's the only way I've found so far of getting Cut2D to lay out the parts the way I need them. It would be a real nuisance if I had to do it that way.

I've noticed that the parts do seem to have already been nested when the imported model appears in Cut2D.

I'm a bit surprised that there doesn't seem to be a way of carrying the information from Sketchup through into Cut2D.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Sorry from what you were saying it sounded like you were importing a "built" 3D model and then wanting the flattening (exploded) functionality of the import to lay it out with regards to grain direction. If you're importing something that is laid out flat in Sketchup then it should be coming in the way you've laid it out in Sketchup.

Personally I've always worked the other way around. I design everything in Vectric and then export to Sketchup for 3D visualisation if the customer needs it.

ElliotandNolan

Post by ElliotandNolan »

Sounds like there isn't an answer to my problem, within Vectric at least. I'll see what cabinet design software is available but all the ones I've looked at so far have been American and they build their cabinets in very old fashioned ways.