Starting additional Z axis cuts from last level

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Blown406
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft 2/840

Starting additional Z axis cuts from last level

Post by Blown406 »

I have the need to cut a lot of parts that are approx. 3/4" deep. Some are pocket toolpaths and some profile toolpaths, either way using a 1/8" and 1/4" straight carbide cutter. I am taking 1/2 the diameter of the tool bit cuts and stepping down the same. My issues are after the first and subsequent passes, the tool returns to the surface height of the material where the first cut started and then slowly travels Z- to where the last cut depth was and then starts cutting the next step down. How can I keep the tool from returning back to the material thickness level and have the next cut start at the same height as the last cut was made? This would save a lot of time, especially on several hundred cuts. I am using VCarve Desktop and have been thinking about upgrading to the Pro level for nesting and job size limitations. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Randy W Benetti, Sr.
KG7TIF

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Starting additional Z axis cuts from last level

Post by Adrian »

There is a rapid plunge feature that can be enabled in the post processor that means plunges to the Z2 level will be made at rapid speeds rather than plunge speeds. There is a post processor guide on the Help menu.

Other than that you can edit the code to remove those retracts for the pockets.

eph210
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 and Mabel, both with 4 axis

Re: Starting additional Z axis cuts from last level

Post by eph210 »

If you have hundreds to do it might be worthwhile to create a spiral vector to make your pocket and use the profile ON toolpath with spiral ramping.
First step is to offset inwards from the pocket outline the radius of your bit. Then you offset inwards from that vector at your chosen stepover value. Select all the created offsets and convert to bezier curves. Go into node edit and break each each one at roughly the same location. Grab one end of each now open vector and move it close to one end of the next inner vector. On the innermost vector bring one end out to the open end of the outer vector. Select two vectors and use the join by moving end points tool to connect them. Add another vector and repeat until you have one closed vector. It will cross over itself but that will work as long as the profile ON is selected.
I have attached an example that took less time to make than this description took to write.

Euan
Attachments
Spiral pocket.PNG